Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting supply back after hormonal bc?

Default Getting supply back after hormonal bc?

I got the depo provera shot (big mistake - my doctor said it would be ok with bfing, but it reduced my supply so much I couldn't feed my lo and had to supplement with formula ).
    Now I'm getting to the 3 month mark and the hormones will be wearing off. Does anyone know what my chances are for getting my supply back? I've already tried Reglan and Fenugreek while on depo, but I am willing to go back on Reglan if there is a chance of getting my supply back. I'm going to talk to my doctor about this too but I wanted to get as much info beforehand (like I should have the first time.. and yes, I'm changing doctors).

Default Re: Getting supply back after hormonal bc?

You can definitely get your supply back! Moms who have never been pregnant or nursed a baby before can successfully nurse their adopted children, so you are way ahead of the game!

Is your baby still nursing, or are you only bottlefeeding? If your baby will still nurse, you may be able to regain your supply merely by putting her to the breast before offering a supplement. Over time, she may stimulate your supply back up to 100%.

You might want to consider supplementing with a supplemental nursing system (SNS). With a SNS, your baby will learn that food comes only from mom's breast and will also stimulate your milk supply even as she feeds from the SNS tube.

Pumping can be a great help in increasing your milk supply. Now is a great time to visit your local lactation consultant and rent a good hospital-grade pump with correctly-sized breast shields. When I had supply issues, I pumped every 2 hours and every 3 at night. It was a lot of work, but my supply bounced back in a hurry!

There are herbal supplements that may help increase your supply: fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal are commonly used.

Finally, there are prescription anti-nausea drugs- Reglan in the US, Domperidone in Canada and the EU- that have the side-effect of increasing your Prolactin levels and thus your milk supply. Consult a doctor before taking either drug, and make sure you discuss any family or personal history of depression before taking Reglan, which can increase your risk for that illness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Remember it's supply & demand, so the more milk that's removed from the breast, the more you'll make. If your lo is latching and nursing, nurse as much as possible. If she's not, pump pump pump. You can def get your supply back!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

This makes me nervous about starting bc...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaof3 View Post
    This makes me nervous about starting bc...
    While small amounts of hormones can pass into breastmilk when moms use it, progestin-only methods are considered by most experts to be compatible with breastfeeding. Also, the progestin-only birth control haven' t been shown to affect the duration of breastfeeding but birth control with estrogen can sometimes lower a breastfeeding mom's milk supply. :O) I've also heard this can be very different with every woman... also, I've heard it be recommended not to start any type of hormonal birthcontrol until baby is at least a few months old... this helps give the milk supply some time to become well established. So, it may be a good idea to discuss with your doctor. :O)

As far as non-hormonal contraceptive methods ... including The Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM)

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader