Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding at night

Default Breastfeeding at night

i realised my 2 months old girl can sleep up to 4-5hours before the next feed but her feeding time has been so irregualr that im beginning to wonder if she wakes up at night simply because she is hungry... sometimes she wakes up after 2.5hrs, sometimes 3.5hrs.. the longest she can go is almost 5hours(rare though). on the average, she wakes up every 2.5hours and i always assume she s hungry thus she gets to drink everytime she wakes up.

my question is.. how do i know she wakes up due to hunger and not something else? she is always looking for my nipple when i carry her in my arms when she is awake at night thus i thought she might be hungry. but if she can go up to 5hours without a feed, why is she waking up every 2.5hours??

in the day, i feed on demand and i dont mind how close her feedings are since im awake.

another unrelated question.. i found a movable lump on one of my breast. im not sure if its a blocked duct or not. the thing is, its not sore or red at all. i feel perfectly normal.. ive tried using a warm pack and massage it but it just dosent seem to go off...anyone knows if that is possible to be a blocked duct though its not painful at all?

Default Re: Breastfeeding at night

Are you swaddling? This can help them sleep longer.

At this age, DS used to wake up every 3 hours exactly at night. He was indeed hungry. I don't know about expecting regular predictable feeding times. DS is 9 months and we still haven't gotten there!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

you mean your DS still wakes up at night at irregular intervals?(sometimes after 3hours sometimes after 2hours?) actually i dont mind irregular feedings at night but the difference is just too huge! imagine a 5hours and a 2hours! if she wakes up every 4-5hours exactly im fine.. just difference of 1 hour..

i was just thinking if my milk can last her for 4-5hours.. why does she needs to wake up at 2.5hours? am a bit worried that im misleading her cues at night...

my girl dosent like to be swaddled. she will cry and try to free herself while making noises...i only did half swaddle when she is born all the way till she is 2 weeks old. after that i stopped swaddling completely. i make sleep at her side now

That is perfectly normal. They tend to wake up at irregular intervals because they don't always eat the same amount at every feeding. It could also be a growth spurt, causing her to wake more frequently to eat.

Also, there could be other discomforts that wake them- wet diaper, itchy pajamas, cold/hot, any number of things could wake her. If you really wanted to, you could try to get her back to sleep without nursing (by rocking, walking, singing, whatever) if it hasn't been very long since her last nursing, but for me I found the quickest and easiest way for me to get back to sleep was to nurse my baby back to sleep.

At 2 months she is definitely too young to attempt any kind of sleep training yet. And you can't spoil a tiny baby, so I wouldn't be concerned about creating bad sleep habits this early, if that's what you're worried about.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    That is perfectly normal. They tend to wake up at irregular intervals because they don't always eat the same amount at every feeding. It could also be a growth spurt, causing her to wake more frequently to eat.

Also, there could be other discomforts that wake them- wet diaper, itchy pajamas, cold/hot, any number of things could wake her. If you really wanted to, you could try to get her back to sleep without nursing (by rocking, walking, singing, whatever) if it hasn't been very long since her last nursing, but for me I found the quickest and easiest way for me to get back to sleep was to nurse my baby back to sleep.

At 2 months she is definitely too young to attempt any kind of sleep training yet. And you can't spoil a tiny baby, so I wouldn't be concerned about creating bad sleep habits this early, if that's what you're worried about.

Said it all much more eloquently than I could have.

Babies are unpredictable. That's the one thing you can count on! My DD wakes at all kinds of different intervals. Recently, she's been nursing every 1-1.5 hours. She's working on a bunch of stuff right now, developmentally so she's not sleeping that well. It will pass.

We co-sleep, so the frequent waking doesn't really bother me.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*annieroccoy View Post
    i realised my 2 months old girl can sleep up to 4-5hours before the next feed but her feeding time has been so irregualr that im beginning to wonder if she wakes up at night simply because she is hungry... sometimes she wakes up after 2.5hrs, sometimes 3.5hrs.. the longest she can go is almost 5hours(rare though). on the average, she wakes up every 2.5hours and i always assume she s hungry thus she gets to drink everytime she wakes up.

my question is.. how do i know she wakes up due to hunger and not something else? she is always looking for my nipple when i carry her in my arms when she is awake at night thus i thought she might be hungry. but if she can go up to 5hours without a feed, why is she waking up every 2.5hours??

in the day, i feed on demand and i dont mind how close her feedings are since im awake.

another unrelated question.. i found a movable lump on one of my breast. im not sure if its a blocked duct or not. the thing is, its not sore or red at all. i feel perfectly normal.. ive tried using a warm pack and massage it but it just dosent seem to go off...anyone knows if that is possible to be a blocked duct though its not painful at all?
    Babies nurse for lots of different reasons. She may be hungry, scared, lonely or just wanting mama. Also, remember that even as adults we don't eat the exact same amount of food at the same times each day. Babies needs and hunger change frequently with growth spurts and milestones. As for the lump, it could be a plugged duct, if it doesn't go away I would run it past your ob/gyn to rule out anything more serious.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

you mean your DS still wakes up at night at irregular intervals?(sometimes after 3hours sometimes after 2hours?) actually i dont mind irregular feedings at night but the difference is just too huge! imagine a 5hours and a 2hours! if she wakes up every 4-5hours exactly im fine.. just difference of 1 hour..

i was just thinking if my milk can last her for 4-5hours.. why does she needs to wake up at 2.5hours? am a bit worried that im misleading her cues at night...
    My DS is 9 months now. There was a time when he was waking up every 3 hours on the dot. Then later he would do a long stretch at the beginning, like 7 hours, then 2 hours, then 2 hours. Then later he would wake more frequently at the beginning of the night, like 2 hours, then 2 hours, then 5 hours. So, yes, I've seen big intervals in his wake-ups.

Babies can wakeup for other reasons too. Some are very sensitive to when their diaper gets full. Other are uncomfortable and can't re-position themselves. Some get cold or hot. Other wake up simply because they have come out of that sleep cycle. Just as in adults, not all sleep cycles are the same in length. For instance, adults experience more REM sleep closer to morning.

I know a couple moms whose other babies who had a long stretch at the begining of the night and woke up more frequently towards morning. It could be she's sleeping a longer stretch at the beginning because she cluster feeds alot in the evening and has a really full tummy by bed. After about 5 hours of sleeping, she's really hungry. She wakes, eats, and falls back asleep, only to be hungry 2 or 3 hours later, that's understandable.

Breastmilk digests in about 90 minutes!
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 6th, 2009 at 02:29 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

i see.. that makes sense... she usually sleeps about 4hours first then follow by every 2.5hours/2hours. so it seems normal

norasmommy, im not worried about spoiling her but then worried about misreading her cues and end up over feeding as she sometimes vomit milk quite a bit. of cause im also a bit worried about her needing my nipple to go back to sleep in the long run...

my girl dosent really mind wet diaper so far.
    Last edited by @llli*annieroccoy; January 6th, 2009 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*annieroccoy View Post
    i see.. that makes sense... she usually sleeps about 4hours first then follow by every 2.5hours/2hours. so it seems normal

im also a bit worried about her needing my nipple to go back to sleep in the long run....
    My LO did the same thing at about this age, stretching that first bit of sleep out to about 4.5 hours and then waking every 2 thereafter. And its changed even more since then!

As for needing the nipple to go back to sleep - at this point she probably does. Its a source of comfort for her and relaxing. I used to stress about this very thought but now I am thankful that I have a tool that will put her to sleep when I need it. Or calm her down when she needs it. She will learn to sleep on her own in due time - she won't be 16 and needing your nipple to go to sleep! That I can promise. If you want to try to encourage her to sleep without sucking read the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. That book has gentle ideas that may help. It also explains sleep cycles and sleep patterns in babies.

how has it changed?

i never allow my girl to fall asleep on my breast by burping her after a feed always. so far she always fall asleep by herself..