Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Number of feedings and how when do they decrease?

Default Number of feedings and how when do they decrease?

I've read that newborns feed 8-12 times a day. On average around what week after birth does this amount begin to decrease? I'm sure it depends on the baby, but having a sense would be helpful.

Default Re: Number of feedings and how when do they decrease?

I think a lot will depend on the individual mother and child. My son is 7 months old and we still nurse at least 7-8 times a day. But, he is much quicker than he used to be. What used to take 45-60 minutes, he can accomplish in 15-20 minutes.

I agree w/ the previous poster. It used to feel like all we did was nurse, but as my son has gotten older, he's gotten much quicker. (he is 7 months now) I truly have no idea how many times he nurses a day, but it's not all encompasing like it used to be & he's done in 5-10 minutes where it used to take at least 30 minutes a session! It seems that things got "better" around the 3 month mark for us.

Ditto here. We still nurse 6-8 times a day and once during the night. The frequency stays consistent but the amount of time it takes to "get the job done" is much faster. You definately will feel like you're spending less time nursing as baby gets older and quicker. Good Luck