Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Panic--running out of frozen b/milk for sitter!

Exclamation Panic--running out of frozen b/milk for sitter!

He nursed so often over our Christmas break (see my other post!) that I didn't pump, plus I went to the gym and DH used some frozen milk several of those days for him. I thought I had an entire freezer bag with 8-10 little bags of milk in it--I don't! It's been used!!!

I am a teacher, so I only get to pump once during the day (on my 23-minute lunch 'hour'). I get like 8-10oz at that session. He drinks more than that per day, the little porker so I need to get my milk supply GOING. How often shoudl I pump? I DO NOT want to have to supplement w/formula! I have barely a minute to spare anyway, w/my 2yo and baby and house and work, etc., but I need to do this...I guess I am looking for advice and/support that I CAN DO IT!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Panic--running out of frozen b/milk for sitter!

Every 2 hours will do it.

Um, as often as you can. Double-pumping with a hospital-grade pump. Here's a video that shows you how to maximize your output from each pumping session.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Many moms use oatmeal and/or fenugreek to boost their supply. There's also reglan and domperidone, which are prescription.

Kellymom also has some good advice.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Does your lo sleep for long periods at night? If so you could wake up in the middle of the night and pump. I know that takes a lot of motivation to interrupt your sleep, but it might help you build up your freezer stash again.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Does your lo sleep for long periods at night? If so you could wake up in the middle of the night and pump. I know that takes a lot of motivation to interrupt your sleep, but it might help you build up your freezer stash again.

BAH! No. Not really. He's been up every 2-3hrs this past wk. He's only slept thru the night ONCE in his little life. He's quite ravenous most of the time.
    ---Josie

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

BF for 22 mo.

can you nurse from only one breast first thing in the morning and pump the other...i sually got the most during this pumping session...bec i was at my fullest!?!?!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jlk51496 View Post
    can you nurse from only one breast first thing in the morning and pump the other...i sually got the most during this pumping session...bec i was at my fullest!?!?!
    Yes--I am going to try to pump that other breast either before I leave for school or during my prep hour, which is at 9am so that breast is REALLY full. Then pump both at lunch. I did this today and I got 4oz out of the one, then 2.5oz out of it at lunch and 5oz out of the other.
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.