Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly nursing every 2hrs at 5 mo old--help! He's wearing me OUT!

Question Suddenly nursing every 2hrs at 5 mo old--help! He's wearing me OUT!

Well, he can't nurse that often today, bc I'm back at work after our 2 wk Christmas break. But he's been getting up at night every 2 hrs, and wanting to nurse every couple of hrs during the day, too. I wonder: are his gums hurting and he wants comfort? Is he starving and this is his way of telling me to try to start w/feeding some cereal? Is there a problem w/my milk? (I don't think so.) He also seems to need to nurse to fall asleep, which is new--he used to do that sometimes, but not all the time, and now he does.

Any thoughts? Is 5 mo an age when another growth spurt occurs?
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Suddenly nursing every 2hrs at 5 mo old--help! He's wearing me OUT!

It sure sounds like a growth spurt to me. Drink a lot and camp out again like you did in the early days. You'll get through it.

It may have also been triggered by you being home over the holidays. He's enjoyed having his Mommy home!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    It may have also been triggered by you being home over the holidays. He's enjoyed having his Mommy home!
    LOL! I know I sure did! I miss them both terribly today!
    ---Josie

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

BF for 22 mo.

DS had a really big growth spurt around 5/6 months. Or it could be teeth. And of course mommy's working, that could explain his nightime behavior.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

my ds started nursing more frequently around that age (I think around 4 months). Teething has a lot to do with it, also growth spurts for sure. In another month you can think about adding solids, but to be honest, my ds is 9 months old and still nurses every 2 hours with around 3 meals of solids a day Sometimes they just prefer to nurse more frequently taking less at each nursing session. Hang in there
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks for the input--I bet he is going through a growth spurt. I have been skeptical about introducing solids as a way to 'satisfy' him, even though people tell me it'll work--his body needs b/milk, not rice cereal!
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*JosieWales View Post
    Thanks for the input--I bet he is going through a growth spurt. I have been skeptical about introducing solids as a way to 'satisfy' him, even though people tell me it'll work--his body needs b/milk, not rice cereal!
    You are right! He does need your milk and giving him cereal won't solve anything! Good job mama!
    Renee
    LLL Leader