Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy 5-month old Baby

Default Fussy 5-month old Baby

My 5 (almost 6) month-old is constantly fussy during feedings and does not last long. She used to take one side for 10 min and the other for 10. Lately the times have been getting shorter...5 min, 5 min, and now less than 5 min. I noticed after a let-down she gulps and then starts arching her back and pulling away but still trying to suck. I squeezed the nipple and there is still some milk coming out, so my guess is that when it stops being fast she doesn't like it. She knows there is some in the other breast so cries and fusses until I give in and put her on the other side. She gulps again and is done. My worry is that I know you aren't supposed to do it this way, and I don't know what to do with a crying fussy baby when she is hungry?? Now I feel my supply is getting less and less and I'm trying to keep up with her but when she doesn't completly empty the breast I think it is taking away from my supply. Doesn anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can do to get her to last longer when the flow isn't as fast?

Default Re: Fussy 5-month old Baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lexis.mom View Post
    My worry is that I know you aren't supposed to do it this way, and I don't know what to do with a crying fussy baby when she is hungry??
    What is your concern when you say you aren't supposed to do it this way? Sometimes they can just become better at removing milk from the breast. What is your wet & poopy diaper count?
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Hi Renee, thank you for replying. What I mean is I know I heard babies aren't supposed to feed for 5 or 10 min on one breast and then 5-10 on the other. I had heard I should nurse 15-30 minutes on one side and then try the other if they still want more. I was told babies get gassy from the 10 min, 10 min. She really is lasting only about 3-5 min before she is done and wanting the other side. I'm trying to figure out if I'm ok, making enough for her or if I should increase her solids instead. I usually feed her some kind of solid in the evening one time a day. My worry though is that the way she stops and won't take more (even though when I squeeze the nipple there is more milk there) because it is not flowing fast, is that over time I will gradually run out because she isn't fully emptying the breast. Thanks again!

Hi Renee, thank you for replying. What I mean is I know I heard babies aren't supposed to feed for 5 or 10 min on one breast and then 5-10 on the other. I had heard I should nurse 15-30 minutes on one side and then try the other if they still want more. I was told babies get gassy from the 10 min, 10 min.
    When DS was 2 weeks old, he'd nurse 10 minutes on 1 side and 5 minutes on the other side. He was gassy, but it didn't bother him in the least.

DS had a big growth spurt around 5/6 months. That can certainly make a baby fussier while feeding.

Also, babies become more efficient nursers as they get older, so feedings can get shorter, that's fine. Older babies can also be very wiggly and distractable when they eat. You can try wrapping him and feeding him lying down in quiet dark room. Are you getting plenty of wet and poopy diapers? Is she getting a bottle or pacifier? If you're worried about your milk supply, just make sure you don't keep increasing her solids. One of the reasons to be conservative when starting solids is that early introduction of solids can reduce your milk supply and lead to early weaning. Kellymom has some good advice.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I agree with the PP about babies getting more effeciant. If you are still concerned about baby possibly not emptying one side put enough, I have heard that sometimes babies can "fooled" into thinking you have switched sides by changing from a cradle hold to a football hold and will nurse for a few minutes longer that way.
    Also, I'm not sure how much milk you are able to squeeze out after she is done, but most moms find that they can still squeeze milk out when they are "empty". I always judge myself by how much milk squeezes out and how quickly it comes.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

This may not help, but sometimes my almost 6 month old does this too. He'll nurse for a few minutes on one side and get really fussy, finally I switch to the other side and he is fine. IDK why, but I just tell myself that maybe he just wanted the other boob? And its not always the same side either.
    Also, if you are worried about your supply, maybe you could pump after you nurse. Good luck.

Thank you all for your replies. I definitely feel ALOT better! I will just keep doing what I'm doing and see how things go. I'm glad all seems normal though. Thanks!

Could your LO possibly be teething? 5-6 months is a good time for teething to start, and sometimes babies don't like to nurse as much when they teethe because it irritates their gums.

Here is a resource on teething and another on fussiness at the breast.

Hope this is at least SOME help, and good luck!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!