Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C-section and beginning breastfeeding...

Default Re: C-section and beginning breastfeeding...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    With my LO it was an emergency c-section so she was whisked away. We did try to latch at 7 hours after birth (she had been on c-pac and was already taken off). My milk took 4 days to come in so we did bottle feed. As my milk came in, we replaced the formula with pumped breast milk. We always attempted to nurse first, then bottle feed. The nurses in the NICU were WONDERFUL and I don't think we would have been successful without them (and of course the great ladies here ). We haven't had any issues with nipple confusion and she easily goes from one to another.
    In your post, you compared my experience with another Mom's. But you need to take into account that my baby was an emergency c-section, born 6 weeks early, was in the NICU for 8 days, and as was listed in the post, she was on c-pac for a few hours the day she was born. So our situation was a little different. Sometimes, intervention is required.
    I have bolded the part we were both responding to. I think that both Juno and myself (I know I did and I am almost 100% sure she did as well) also had emergency c-sections. My son was only 3 weeks early and we weren't in the NICU but I think that the point we were both making is that neither an emergency c-section OR having your milk not come in for days is cause for alarm or reason to supplement. And that to the OP who sounds like she is going in for a scheduled section, that she should NOT be made to panic if these things occur. Which often happens. New mothers are made to panic by uneducated medical staff who make them believe they MUST supplement. There is no need to panic. Even if the baby doesn't eat for the 1st 24hours. Or loses weight. Or Your milk doesn't come in. These are all normal occurrences that don't mean you are failing or that it won't work. That was my point anyway.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; January 5th, 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    As long as they are passing meconium that means they still have food inside of them that was acquired while inside of us. And I was told it was very very common for c-section newborns to go 24 hours without eating and that this is no cause for alarm.
    Yes, I hear what you're saying and this can be generally true, although frequent nursing after birth will help a mother's milk to come in... Nursing is also helpful for a number of reasons after a cesarean, too (re: my previous post). Full-term, healthy babies born from a cesarean do tend to be "sleepier" & possibly less hungry, since the anesthesia takes longer to pass through their bodies.

But you're right, on day 1 of a baby's life, it's not unusual to have 1-2 dirty diapers, especially since their tummies are so small.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla View Post
    Yes, I hear what you're saying and this can be generally true, although frequent nursing after birth will help a mother's milk to come in... Nursing is also helpful for a number of reasons after a cesarean, too (re: my previous post). Full-term, healthy babies born from a cesarean do tend to be "sleepier" & possibly less hungry, since the anesthesia takes longer to pass through their bodies.

But you're right, on day 1 of a baby's life, it's not unusual to have 1-2 dirty diapers, especially since their tummies are so small.
    AND I had actually been in induced back labor for 57 hours by the time I delivered him but both days after laboring all day I insisted on being unhooked from my IV so that I could eat. I was able to negotiate one shower while unhooked as well. So I KNEW he had plenty to eat because my WONDERFUL hospital was across the st from a WHOLE FOODS. SO I had Mac and CHeese and Brisket from the deli the night before I had him.

Way too lazy for formula

In your post, you compared my experience with another Mom's. But you need to take into account that my baby was an emergency c-section, born 6 weeks early, was in the NICU for 8 days, and as was listed in the post, she was on c-pac for a few hours the day she was born. So our situation was a little different. Sometimes, intervention is required.
    Yes, sometimes it may be completely necessary... Especially when formula is used as a *tool* to help a mother achieve exclusive breastfeeding. Kudos!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    SO I had Mac and CHeese and Brisket from the deli the night before I had him.
    Mmmmm... Yummy!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

and to comment on the quick recovery that nursing encourages . . .

Like I said, I began nursing about 30-40 minutes after he was born. I continued to nurse practically around the clock the first 24 hours, and then about every 2 hours for the next couple of days. During my last belly check before I left the hospital the nurse struggled to find my uterus (this was 2 days pp) and commented on how small it was. When I went in for my 1 week check up my uterus was back to its original size (my belly was not but my uterus was ). I credit that to nursing. The after-contractions were intense, but well worth it.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    During my last belly check before I left the hospital the nurse struggled to find my uterus (this was 2 days pp) and commented on how small it was.
    I also had several nurses comment on how quickly my uterus was returing to size, they all said it must be because I was being so diligent about nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

congrats!
    i had my dd on mon, july 28 & bf about 45 minutes later when i was out of recovery & in my room. she latched on wonderfully!

my milk came in fri am when i was at home and can you say engorgement!! i hadn't even gotten a pump-thank god for walmart; she never lost weight that first week and is a little chunker now .

get a boppy or breastfeeding pillow-saved my life in the hospital and at home. no one around me was pro-bf, but i thought i would give it a try (wish i had llli.org before i gave birth)

i never gave in to the hospital about formula or pacifiers(dd was jaundice too-came in about 2 days after birth. she was under the light at hospital and we came home with a biliblanket) i had to demand that she be brought to my room to feed when she was hungry or every 3 hrs b/c she was so sleepy.
    be sure to have people around that are aware of your wishes and can support you.

bfing after csection has definitely helped me lose all of my weight; but i was super tired the first several weeks!
    Wife to Larry since 7-08-06, Mom to Merryn, born 7-28-08
    We're trying to while going to work, finishing school, and keeping family first

oh, and nursing all the time after a csection really helps you feel like you have more of a connection/bond with your newborn that. sometimes i feel like i was "cheated" from the birthing bond, but bfing often during the first few weeks really helped
    Wife to Larry since 7-08-06, Mom to Merryn, born 7-28-08
    We're trying to while going to work, finishing school, and keeping family first

Congratulations on your new babe-2-b!

I totally with all pp. My second was an emergency c and then she was transferred to a different hospital (across the street) for surgery at 5 hours and a one month stay (we knew she's need surgery and be hospitalised - the emergency c part was a surprise but an example of Divine intervention - long story for another post). I saw her as she was wheeled past me, and then did not get to touch her until she was two days old - needless to say I was very worried about bf. But she latched on fantastically, and despite being bottle-fed often, did not suffer the nipple-confusion we were worried about. I did express, so she was drinking breastmilk, but I know it was 'supplemented' a few times in the early days. When I was able to 'move in with her' at four days, I bf exclusively (and let me tell you, it was chore involving nurses, clamps and all kinds of tubes being monitored) but was completely supported by staff. She then went on to bf for 9 months until she weaned herself ( ).

My second c-section was planned. My son was put on my chest immediately after birth, then cleaned up a bit, returned to me for a bit, then after we and hubby were tagged, he was given to his daddy while they cleaned him up. When I was wheeled to recovery he was on my chest again, and never left my side during our time in the hospital unless someone else was holding him (I co-slept in the hospital). He was 'hatched' sucking on his hand, so maybe that was a sign that he'd be a good nurser. I think he spent his first night latched on to me the whole time! But then, I was in a hospital that was very pro bf which I feel makes all the difference.

I guess the point of my ramble is that you can begin bf (which is more colostrum than anything else for the first bit) immediately. If you're not sure of the hospital's philosophy re bf (although it amazes me that there are still institutions that aren't pro bf ) make sure you are very vocal about your desires and don't allow 'professionals' to tell you otherwise. If in doubt, ask to speak to the lactation consultant for a knowledgeable second opinion.

Have fun, get lots of rest and spend the next few weeks doing little but nurturing and enjoying your new babe!
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz