Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C-section and beginning breastfeeding...

Default Re: C-section and beginning breastfeeding...

Ask to BF as soon as they are done. I didn't do this, and DS went w/my husband to our room. I was sent someplace else to 'recover,' to wait for the epi to wear off. We were separated for about 40 minutes. I did get to see him and hold him before they did that. And he was SOOOOOOOO hungry when I got to get him back--eating his fists! And he latched like a champ. But I still feel like I should have had him immediately, w/o that silly 'recovery' time, during which I was a little loopy but certainly could have been BFing (w/the rails up!).
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post

Thats a good idea.

I too nursed all mine after surgery. I think I was told that they all had to have a few drops of sugar water to see if they could suck/swallow. After they were brought them to me I nursed. I couldnt sit up cause I puked but I layed down (about 130 degree) and nursed with my boppy and a football hold.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    With my LO it was an emergency c-section so she was whisked away. We did try to latch at 7 hours after birth (she had been on c-pac and was already taken off). My milk took 4 days to come in so we did bottle feed. As my milk came in, we replaced the formula with pumped breast milk. We always attempted to nurse first, then bottle feed. The nurses in the NICU were WONDERFUL and I don't think we would have been successful without them (and of course the great ladies here ). We haven't had any issues with nipple confusion and she easily goes from one to another.
    This post reminds me, my milk didn't come in for 5 days. I didn't supplement at all. I figured my child must have needed 5 days of colostrum or it (my milk)would have come in sooner. Again, don't panic. No one said I needed to worry and I just didn't. Your child can live on colostrum alone for quite a few days. My suggestion is don't have any formula in your house and don't take any home in a "Breastfeeding Help Bag". If you don't have any, you are going to be less tempted to even get involved with it.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I had my lo breastfeed as soon as they finished stitching me up

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    This post reminds me, my milk didn't come in for 5 days. I didn't supplement at all. I figured my child must have needed 5 days of colostrum or it (my milk)would have come in sooner. Again, don't panic. No one said I needed to worry and I just didn't. Your child can live on colostrum alone for quite a few days. My suggestion is don't have any formula in your house and don't take any home in a "Breastfeeding Help Bag". If you don't have any, you are going to be less tempted to even get involved with it.
    I think mine came in somewhere in the 4-5 day range as well. We didn't supplement, just put the baby to the breast nearly constantly.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When a mother or mother-to-be knows she will undergo a scheduled cesarean it can bring up lots of questions. The wonderful thing is that there has been plenty of research that has found that a cesarean mother **CAN** breastfeed. Sometimes more determination and patience is needed, at other times, it can be as easy as if you had a vaginal delivery.

There are some really good things that nursing can help with a cesarean...
    1) The baby's sucking can help stimulate a mother's uterus to contract more quickly and help her heal faster, 2) Breastfeeding can help with bonding, and, 3) Breastfeeding can help a mom feel better about the birth and her abilities as a mother.

Your hospital stay may be longer, you may be in a bit more pain in the beginning and you may not have easy access to your baby while you're there... you may need to rely on other people for help.

No matter how a baby is born, the earlier you can start breastfeeding, the better.

(Genereally, for the full-term, healthy baby...)

--Nurse often... as often as baby wants and at least every 2 hours or so. This will also help stimulate your milk production... sometimes a mother's milk will come in a little later (about 5 days or so) after a cesarean. Know that the colostrum you have is perfect for your baby and is the perfect amount.

--Skin-to-skin contact... As often as possible, can help.

--Some babies may be a little sleepy from the cesarean... Try to wake up your baby if he/she falls asleep soon after beginning to nurse. You can do this by gently rubbing baby's back, taking off all clothing except baby's diaper... usually, a wet cloth can help keep baby awake.

--Don't give baby any bottles, pacifiers or formula... Although some babies do fine when given a pacifier, it's often suggested to wait to introduce one, etc., until both mother and baby are comfortable with breastfeeding (weeks? months?... it can be so individual). There's no way to know which babies might have nipple confusion and which will not, beforehand. There are exceptions (preemies, etc.), of course, and an experienced IBCLC or LLL Leader can be asked, too.

--Positions... Try many to learn what works best. Are you familiar with the football hold? This position can be helpful after a cesarean. Laying down to nurse can be less painful, too.

--Room-in with your baby... If baby's healthy, baby should be able to stay with mother... All procedures can be done beside you. Your baby doesn't necessarily need to be put under a warming light... skin-to-skin contact is generally sufficient. If you *are* separated for some reason, breastfeeding can still happen.

--There's almost always a medication that is compatible with breastfeeding.... Don't be afraid to ask. Plus, if you need it, take the pain medication... This may help fascilitate breastfeeding.

--Ask for help if you need it.... An experienced Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) should be available... La Leche League has a 24-hour hotline, too: 1-800-LA-LECHE or 1-877-4-LA-LECHE (1-877-4-52-53243).

--When you get home, stay in bed & rest... ask for people to make your meals, bring you things, etc. Their job is to make you as comfortable as possible so you can breastfeed.

You can do it!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    With my LO it was an emergency c-section so she was whisked away. We did try to latch at 7 hours after birth (she had been on c-pac and was already taken off). My milk took 4 days to come in so we did bottle feed. As my milk came in, we replaced the formula with pumped breast milk. We always attempted to nurse first, then bottle feed. The nurses in the NICU were WONDERFUL and I don't think we would have been successful without them (and of course the great ladies here ). We haven't had any issues with nipple confusion and she easily goes from one to another.
    I was going to say exactly the same thing. Took 5 days for my milk too, and no formula or anything else. DS didn't need it and was fine without it. Born at 6.12 dropped to 6.3 and gained it all back plus some by 2 wk.

The nursing staff where I was was very breastfeeding friendly and didn't try to scare me. They said that they don't need to eat until all the meconium passes which takes at least 24hours and that it's completely normal for babies to lose up to 10% of their birth weight.
    Hi, there!

Are you meaning that the nurses meant newborns don't *need* to eat (meaning take in calories) or that newborns don't need to nurse? I'm guessing the nurses meant newborns don't need to *eat* very much because their stomaches are so small, right?

Check out this diagram of the stomach capacity of a newborn at the bottom of the page, too... very cool!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla View Post
    Hi, there!

Are you meaning that the nurses meant newborns don't *need* to eat (meaning take in calories) or that newborns don't need to nurse? I'm guessing the nurses meant newborns don't need to *eat* very much because their stomaches are so small, right?

Check out this diagram of the stomach capacity of a newborn at the bottom of the page, too... very cool!
    I mean just what I said. As long as they are passing meconium that means they still have food inside of them that was acquired while inside of us. And I was told it was very very common for c-section newborns to go 24 hours without eating and that this is no cause for alarm. My son didn't eat at all for the 1st 25 hours of his life outside my body. He was fine. They encouraged me to try to latch him and I did and he had no interest. I wasn't worried and he passed meconium the whole time.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    I was going to say exactly the same thing. Took 5 days for my milk too, and no formula or anything else. DS didn't need it and was fine without it. Born at 6.12 dropped to 6.3 and gained it all back plus some by 2 wk.
    In your post, you compared my experience with another Mom's. But you need to take into account that my baby was an emergency c-section, born 6 weeks early, was in the NICU for 8 days, and as was listed in the post, she was on c-pac for a few hours the day she was born. So our situation was a little different. Sometimes, intervention is required.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and