Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frequent explosive pooping -- normal?

Default frequent explosive pooping -- normal?

another quick Q:

is it normal for my bf lo to be having explosive pooping incidents 3-4 times a day? meaning, her poop shoots up her back out of her diaper, sometimes out the sides and up the front.. i don't want to sound like i'm saying "omg my baby poops, yuck!", but i'm wondering if the shooting out the diaper, ruining several outfits a day, etc is normal. my mom wondered if it may be a symptom of something like a food allergy, a side effect of her reflux, etc..

and yes, i'm a first time mom.. lol.. so if this is perfectly normal, please forgive me!

Default Re: frequent explosive pooping -- normal?

Yup! Sounds normal to me. Some babies are supposed to slow down on pooping after a couple months, but not mine! He was still having a few explosive poops every day. Oxyclean is your best friend.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Sometimes explosive, shoot-up-the-back poops are nature's way of telling you that you need to switch to a larger size of diaper! Other than that, they are totally normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Sometimes explosive, shoot-up-the-back poops are nature's way of telling you that you need to switch to a larger size of diaper! Other than that, they are totally normal.
    i never even thought about that.. although i have wondered if we're all putting her diaper on wrong, though i know that's not the case.

good to know this isn't necessarily the sign of a problem. one advantage to this is, it gets me off the hook at times. today a woman selling carpet cleaners door-to-door came to the door, and when she saw me with a pooped-in onesie in my hand, she pretty much turned around and took her solicitous opening speech with her.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinaew View Post
    i never even thought about that.. although i have wondered if we're all putting her diaper on wrong, though i know that's not the case.

good to know this isn't necessarily the sign of a problem. one advantage to this is, it gets me off the hook at times. today a woman selling carpet cleaners door-to-door came to the door, and when she saw me with a pooped-in onesie in my hand, she pretty much turned around and took her solicitous opening speech with her.. lol
    Sounds like at least something good came out of it then!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    Sounds like at least something good came out of it then!
    ... I second the idea of going up on diaper size... Even thought they set the pounds and stuff for us to figure out the weigh and diaper size some babies use diaper bigger or smaller then the size suggested by the company... mine was one of them ... Oh and last of blow outs too.. I use oxyclean to remove stains.. good luck mama

I second the new diaper size! That is usually how I tell - pee or poop - when its time!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinaew View Post
    another quick Q:

is it normal for my bf lo to be having explosive pooping incidents 3-4 times a day? meaning, her poop shoots up her back out of her diaper, sometimes out the sides and up the front.. i don't want to sound like i'm saying "omg my baby poops, yuck!", but i'm wondering if the shooting out the diaper, ruining several outfits a day, etc is normal. my mom wondered if it may be a symptom of something like a food allergy, a side effect of her reflux, etc..

and yes, i'm a first time mom.. lol.. so if this is perfectly normal, please forgive me!
    She has reflux as well? Personally, I would not discount the possibility of food allergy. Is her poop yellow or green/mucuosy? Any Eczema or rashes?

I just want to second the idea of looking into food issues. My kiddos both had the frequent explosive poos, and it didn't stop until we figured out what their food sensitivities were. Then, like magic, we had regular baby poos! Yay for poo staying IN the diapers!!!

Totally normal! I still pack 2-3 extra outfits for my 5mo old! (Although it's getting better)
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!