Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hostage Situation

Default Hostage Situation

Twenty nine months ago my breasts and bed were taken hostage by a small cute bald man. As much as I have enjoyed this position of milk machine and snuggle friend to my little man, the time has come. The question? Which to cut off first, the breast, or the bed?

I'm thinking bed, as my husband has had enough of little feet in his face at 3am. How do I do it though? He hasn't slept a day or night in his bed since he was born.

We've managed to cut nursing down to three times a day, however since he sleeps with us and I sleep deeply, he nurses through the night I actually don't know how many times.

Where do I start? How can I make this as painless as possible for him, and me?

Default Re: Hostage Situation

Same boat with ya, mama! Good luck!

cutting off breasts sounds painful mama
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

in my experience, it was easier to wean and then move my son to his own bed. He weaned in october, and a few weeks later was sleeping through the night in his toddler bed (still in our room)
    we used the Dr Jay Gordon night time weaning method for kids in the family method. it worked so great for us. you can modify it, taking each step a little slower. He says three days for each step, we took a little longer.
    here is the link to his method (its an easy read, have your husband read it too since he will be a big help with this if he is ready to take the step too)

good luck!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

With the size of mine it would just be an outpatient procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    cutting off breasts sounds painful mama

I think it might be easier to move your child to his own bed, and then wean, rather than the other way around. Moving beds can be a stressful time for a toddler, and I am sure nursing during the day would be very reassuring for him.

But take my advice with a grain of salt, since I have yet to wean my daughter.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You are funny mama!! Good luck to you!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Just get pregnant, then maybe he will wean on his own (that's what happened here.)

What if you night wean him first and then move him. You can night wean by wearing breast armor so he can't get to them.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

We put ds2 in his own bed after he initially nursed to sleep at night. Then if he woke he was welcome to join us and nurse back to sleep. When I got tired of the night nursings, I would let him come into bed with us but not nurse unless it was after 2 am. This moved to 5 am then 7 am and now has moved to no nursing unless it is time to go to bed. If he came to bed and asked to nurse or started pulling on my shirt I would say no let's just snuggle. I had decided that if he complained too much I would go ahead and nurse. He never complained and was content just to snuggle back to sleep. After a few nights of coming to bed at 2 and asking to nurse he started sleeping in his own bed longer and would only come to our bed when the sun started to come up.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.