Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hi! New here and need help.

Default Hi! New here and need help.

DS born Oct. 24 and have been exclusively pumping since day two. Started this due to the advise of nurses in hospital. DS wasn't latching on so we pumped every 3 hours. Sent me home with a Symphony. Ok. I was told to pump every three hours and pump until no more drops. Well this established a great milk supply, but I ended up freezing 600+ oz so far. And I kept at him to latch and recently he's been doing great. So I haven't bottle fed him in two full days. Well I don't want to keep pumping and BF. I was attempting to drop pumps so my supply would even out a bit even though they advised me to wait until 12 wks. I am currently trying to feed only on one breast for about 3 feedings in a row if I can stand it. For sure two. My question is my breasts get sooo engorged that I have to let them drip into the sink for 5 minutes before he can latch on. If I pump to relieve the pressure I only do it for a min tops and get 2+ oz....which is not what I want to do. Isn't that counterproductive here? I am really confused. I've tried putting pressure on nipple...well that makes it leak out super fast and my pad is soaked in 1 min. Ugh. How long will this take? Am I going about this correctly? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Hi! New here and need help.

I had horrible oversupply issues in the beginning, and am still dealing with them (though they are much better) so I really feel for you. Although I'm not a lactation consultant, I think you are right to stop pumping--any milk that comes out of your breast signals your body to produce more. It is my understanding that it takes roughly the same amount of time it took you to get such an oversupply to fix an oversupply problem, so be patient with yourself. It took me almost six weeks to really see a big change in the O/S and that was with blockfeeding (sometimes up to 12 hours on each breast). I strongly urge you to see a LC.

Hang in there.

It sounds like you can definitely stop pumping regularly, but it will be ok to pump just enough to relieve the engorgement. If you just leave it, it is not only painful and uncomfortable, it can lead to plugged ducts or mastitis. Have you tried hand expression? It might result in less milk coming out and be a bit easier than getting the pump out every time you nurse.

It sounds like you are doing a great job, though. Block feeding is definitely the way to go to decrease supply. Once you get the oversupply under control I hope it will be smooth sailing for you!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Congrats on getting your baby latched and on building such a wonderful supply!

It will take time and patience to reduce your milk supply. Your supply will need to decrease gradually to avoid mastitis. Can you try using a hand-pump to relieve the pressure instead of the Symphony?

Block feeding is totally the way to go. The protocol here is to start with an interval you think you can manage. Then do this for a full 4-7 days before making another change. You could do a time interval, such as 4 hours. Or you could do feedings, such as 2 feedings in a row. I always preferred using time-intervals, myself. I found the best results if I wrote everything down and was strict about the time intervals, night and day. I found that the best time interval was one where I switched over before I got really really full on the other side. Either way, you need to wait at least 4-7 days before making any new changes. Pump 'to comfort' only. Keep a record of how much milk you are pumping each day so you can monitor your progress. It will happen!

There are options other than block feeding. These include drinking 3 cups of sage tea/day (steep 1 Tbsp of fresh whole leaf dried herb in 1 cup of boiling water 15 minutes), cabbage leaf compresses. Another option is to go on a 4-7 day course of low-dose oral contraceptive pills with estrogen and progesterone. (This is from the Breastfeeding Answer Book, page 127)

Kellymom also has a page on oversupply here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fa...down.html#help
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 7th, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Ok, so I have stopped using the Symphony. I have only used the hand pump once and expressed about 2 oz. I can live with the pain, it's the leaking. I thought expressing would help that. I guess not. So I have resorted to just leaking into the sink or towels. Cheaper than wasting all of my breast pads. Now my schedule for BFing is as follows:6pm Left side, 8:30pm L, 10:30pm R, 3:15am R, 7:30am L, 9:30am L, 11am L, 1pm R, 5:15 R, 7:45pm L 1:30am L, 4:30am R, 7:30am R, 11am L and 1:45p L. So do you think these blocks look ok or do you think the time between switches is too long? Cuz sometimes it's like 8 hrs. If I used the L one lastly at 11am and then don't go back to it until 7:45pm. Ya know? I just really want to get this under control. I've also been using the ontop method of BFing. Like cradle hold, but DS laying on my belly while I'm on my back or reclined. That works, but feel like he's a little smothered. He always tries to turn his head to the side which pulls on my nipple. So now I just try to leak a little into towel and then feed him. Which helps, but he still clicks a lot. And recently he's been getting fussy and pulling away from breast and then rooting for it and repeat. So I try to burp him every 5 min cz maybe he's gassy. He sure is farty. Not sure if that is related. Better out than in, huh?! Now I hope this works because I swear I posted earlier and it's gone. And it was a long one too.