Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: storing milk from let down reflex

Default storing milk from let down reflex

ive read that i should not mix breast milk with differnet temperature but am wondering if its ok to combine my let down reflex breast milk from a few feeding sessions? currently im 'cathing' my let down reflex breast milk with bottles during every feeding session. since the amount is not alot, i usually combine them over a period of 6hrs (about 3 feeding sessions). but now im rather worried about the difference in temperature(body temp and room temp). does it matters? or can i continue to do what im doing?

Default Re: storing milk from let down reflex

Breastmilk is fine at room temperature for at least 4 hours, and possibly up to eight hours. (See the LLLI milk storage guidelines here)

I want to make sure I understand your situation: You are catching the milk that comes out when your baby is nursing on the other breast, and keeping that milk at room temperature through the day until you have enough that it seems worth storing the milk in the refrigerator or freezer. Is that right?

I think there should be no problem doing that.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

yes you got that right. but then.. im using the same bottle to catch the milk. is that ok? as in... i use this bottle for one feeding then leave it aside and reuse for the next feeding's let down (with the previous session's milk still inside). because i suppose body temperature's milk and room temperature's milk is differnet in temperature. this is what im worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*annieroccoy View Post
    yes you got that right. but then.. im using the same bottle to catch the milk. is that ok? as in... i use this bottle for one feeding then leave it aside and reuse for the next feeding's let down (with the previous session's milk still inside). because i suppose body temperature's milk and room temperature's milk is differnet in temperature. this is what im worried about.
    Are you using the same bottle to catch the let-down for more than one feeding? If so, that seems okay to me.

Are you also using that same bottle to feed your baby your milk and then using it to catch the let-down from the next feeding? If so, I don't know if that's okay because your baby could introduce bacteria into the bottle while drinking from it.

Hope this helps!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I spent 2 years pumping. I was a bit lazy on the milk storage side of things and baby never had any problems. I would often leave milk in the bottles from one pumping session to the next as I was pumping frequently. I did put it in the fridge though, I think within 4 hours.

Why don't you think you can combine milk of different temperatures? Maybe I don't know any better, but I don't think it really matters and I added fresh pumped milk to the milk in the fridge all the time. If it were me, I'd just store the bottle in the fridge in between feedings. Oh yeah, and good job mama for saving your milk, I had OALD this time and always wasted the milk by letting it spray into a towel.

Kelly's mom said fresh milk can be left out at 19-22C (room temp) for 10 hours max. The higher the temp. of your room, the faster the bacteria grow and the less time its safe to leave milk out.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

thanks for the replies. yes i catch the let down with bottle and use the same bottle for a few feedings. of course i make sure the milk is out at room temperature for only 4-6hours maximum. i do not use bottle for my girl. always direct latch on.

nowadays i dont catch my letdown anymore. i simply apply pressure onto my nipples when the let down happen to stop the let down. this way i can keep the milk inside my breast for my girl. because i dont use bottles, i cant seem to find a chance to use those milk that ive saved from my let down thus i stopped catching. breastmilk is precious! dont waste! hehe

I'm not sure how old your lo is, but when she starts solid food, you can definitely save the milk in a bottle and add the breastmilk to her food. You can also freeze it (even 1-2 oz) and save it for when she does start solid food.

I actually have OALD and OS (big time!) and sometimes I would forget and waste into a towel but other times I would save it and even give it to my toddler in a sippy cup! It's great b/c he's not nursing anymore.

Saving the extra milk and freezing it will make it last a long time - and your lo may use it as she gets older. KWIM???

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

my girl is only about 7 weeks old now... those frozen milk can be kept for about 3-6months am i right? then she will only be starting solid food at around 6 months? so i doubt it will be in time... but it might be a good idea to let her drink those milk when she is about 3-4months old when she can feed herself from a sippy cup. but... im not sure if a 3-4 months old infant can self feed from a sippy cup??

I'm pretty sure that at the end of the day you can combine what you've expressed that day after it is all chiled. So if you collect an ounce after 5 or 6 hours and put that in the fridge and then collect another ounce over the next 5 or 6 hours and put that in the fridge - once both containers are cold you can combine them and put the date on them to freeze or whatever.

Also, here is some info about Storage Guidelines

and here is some general about Expressing Milk
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

From my experience having had two babies, 3-4 mo. is pretty young to be holding their own sippy cup. My first baby didn't hold a cup or bottle by himself until closer to 8-9 mo. Right now my 6 mo old girl refuses to hold the bottle by herself at daycare. Maybe she could if she wanted to...???

I see your point about the frozen milk being too old by the time she starts solids. I would probably keep it anyway, but that's just me.

There might be a chance that you might want to be away from her for a longer period of time as she gets older (say for a date night with someone, or a trip to see family, or some time shopping or something) and if she's with a babysitter, you may need the frozen milk for a bottle.

If you're not doing bottles at all, then i guess the milk would be totally wasted if you froze it. You're the one who knows best!

Good luck!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!