Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fear of ruining her teeth

Default Fear of ruining her teeth

Yippee, my lo is almost 13 months and I am still doing partial breastfeeding. But my lo loves to nurse to sleep and nap which I don't mind al all. As I work full time, The only time we connect is almost her nap/sleep time. I am just so afraid that it will ruin her teeth with the sugar in the milk. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks
    Laurie's mom

Default Re: Fear of ruining her teeth

Breasts are not like bottles; that is, they don't just drip constantly after the baby has fallen asleep. This is why you never hear of a baby getting breast mouth, but you do hear of bottle mouth--bottles drip, breasts don't. After the initial letdown, there probably isn't any milk coming out without her actively sucking, so enjoy those special sleepy times.
    Last edited by @llli*milkface; January 3rd, 2009 at 07:09 PM.

My dentist reassured me by telling me that the sugars in breast milk are NOT cavity causing. Just make sure to brush LO's teeth before you nurse her to sleep and you should be fine!

Oh! Thank you ladies! You are the best! Thank you so much for the assurance. I feel so much better and not feeling guilty to nurse her to sleep. I do brush her teeth before bed (and nursing!)
    Also, lLast time my sister found out that I still nurse her to sleep. She gave me such a dirty look and commented that nursing her to sleep is a bad habit. I felt horrible and I started to question if I am doing the right thing for my lo.

Regards
    Laurie's mom

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joey.au View Post
    She gave me such a dirty look and commented that nursing her to sleep is a bad habit. I felt horrible and I started to question if I am doing the right thing for my lo.
    Regardless of what anyone else thinks, you're doing a great job! You know what's best for your LO.

Let me tell you something about nursing to sleep!
    I nursed my daughter to sleep for 3 years and 10 months. We weaned a month ago and it's EASIER to get her to fall asleep!!!
    She just closes her eyes and rolls over.
    So there IS hope!