Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping- how long to see results?

Default Pumping- how long to see results?

How long should it take to see an increase in supply if I'm pumping more frequently? A day? A week?
    I pump almost exclusively because the lo (2.5 months) is not very efficient and I don't think I can make enough milk. I'm trying to pump every three hours but it seems like I only get smaller amounts that are equivalent to pumping less often. I've tried most everything and I will still pump to give him what I can, but I was hoping I could make more. I had a breast lift surgery a while back and things are different breastfeeding this time as opposed to the first two. I've never leaked and even when my milk came in I wasn't that full.

Default Re: Pumping- how long to see results?

What kind of pump are you using? Are you double-pumping? Are you pumping at night? Are you using medication/herbs? Your milk supply reaches its maximum when baby is about 4 weeks. If your supply drops, you can usually get it back to this level, but its more difficult to get above it. I would say you should see changes in a few days and definately before a week is up. I found when I was pumping that a long stretch at night was hard on my supply. I also found that double-pumping every 2 hours during the day increased my supply.

This video might help:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 4th, 2009 at 05:11 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I'm using an Avent IQ Duo. I don't pump at night because he sleeps at night, but I guess that's an option. I'm trying to see if I actually can make any more milk than I already am. I've tried the galacs. but they didn't do a whole lot for me. When I nursed my other two I always leaked, but with this one, I have only leaked once in the whole 11 weeks. That kind of makes me think that something was damaged when I had the breast lift. I want to keep pumping to give him what I can but if this is as much as I can make I want to come to terms with that and stop trying so hard.

Thanks for the video!

I think the video will help. Other than that, if you pump about every 4 hours at night, that will probably help too. I know when DS was 6 months I stopped pumping at night and my supply took a plunge. You've got a good hospital grade pump.

There's also herbs/medications you can try including oatmeal, fenugreek, reglan, domperidone.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.