Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does spit up mean baby is full?

Exclamation Does spit up mean baby is full?

My 8 week old has been spitting up alot. I know babies spit up, but how much is normal? He is also on antibiotics (amoxicillin) for an ear infection and has a ton of post nasaldrip. Could that be a reason for spit up too?

Also, any suggestions for congestion? I'm doing saline and bulb syringe. I haven't been laying him flat ( except for changes). We are going to try a humidifier today. I hate hearing him so stuffed.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Default Re: Does spit up mean baby is full?

Spitting up peaks between 2 and 4 months of age, but some of it could be caused by sinus drainage.

For congestion, try skirting a little bm in his nose and then suction it out to help with stuffiness.

Last edited by @llli*milkface; January 3rd, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

The spit up could definitely be from the sinus drainage. He could also be gulping more air while nursing due to the congestion, which could cause spitting up when he tries to burp that air back up later. You may want to burp him a bit more frequently during feeds.

An easy way to help reduce the congestion is to set a chair in the bathroom and sit there with him while you run a hot shower to steam up the room. All the steam in the enclosed space will loosen the junk in his sinuses and help it drain.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamacat View Post
    The spit up could definitely be from the sinus drainage. He could also be gulping more air while nursing due to the congestion, which could cause spitting up when he tries to burp that air back up later. You may want to burp him a bit more frequently during feeds.

An easy way to help reduce the congestion is to set a chair in the bathroom and sit there with him while you run a hot shower to steam up the room. All the steam in the enclosed space will loosen the junk in his sinuses and help it drain.
    All great advice!

FWIW my DD spit up a billion times a day for the first several months... right after feedings and even up to two hours after a feeding. Eventually at 5 months or so we figured out that she had reflux but it took a long time to figure it out because she was never showing any signs of being in pain (until 5 months). They say if the baby is a "happy spitter," i.e. not crying or seeming to be in pain while spitting up or in general, then everything is fine.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.