Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mylicon?

Unhappy Mylicon?

How does everyone feel about using mylicon? I have OALD, and although i am trying to use different positions when nursing as well as letting my first let down go into a cloth, my baby is still often very uncomfortable because of gas at night. Is it ok to use mylicon when bfing? when reading online at kellymom i get the impression that the site does not think bfing mothers should use this...i just dont want my little guy in pain , and i could also use better sleep rather than having to go comfort him 30 min after each feeding when he awakes in pain!

also, any other suggestions for OALD? I feel as though i've read everything but am still lost. I dont think i have OAS though cause i tried block feedings every 2 hours for a few days and my supply went down dramatically!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: Mylicon?

I'll be interested to see what other moms post about mylicon. I bought some the other night because my LO has reflux and gets very uncomfortable also. I'll check back for what others say.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

My pediatrician said that there is actually no research based evidence that supports that Mylicon works. However, she also said that she liked using it because when her child was very distressed it worked as a good distraction tool (different texture/flavor/sweetness) and that sometimes the distraction alone would help the discomfort to pass.

That said, there was a big recall of the white colored mylicon about two months ago, so check the website and your bottle to confirm it's safe.

We tried the mylicon with my BF twins (5 months old), and on a few occasions, I would have to agree that it helped them (by distracting them) deal with some great distress/discomfort. I've found that now there are other distraction techniques that seem to comfort them when they seem gassy or uncomfortable...here's my list...
    1) I always lower the lights to dim, just makes less stimulation
    2) Sometimes take of their clothes and hold them close with a warm blanket, and sometimes laying belly to belly, this stretch sometimes helps the stomach, or curling up their legs while belly to belly also helps
    3) Light belly massage, or foot massage
    4) Bath them, really relaxed, at about 100 degrees, not for washing but for relaxing (I found it really helpful to have a water thermometer b/c I was giving the babies too cool baths when I just checked temp with my wrist).
    5) I guess the other thing is, with my one daughter who has much more gas/spitting issues, we always hold her upright for 15 to 30 minutes after feedings, and we did this until she began to outgrow some of the reflux. Now at 5 months, she burps much more easily and spits a little bit on occasion, but about 5 minutes upright generally does the trick. Sometimes I found it helpful to lay her on her back for a few minutes and then pick her back up to burp, and trying different burping positions helped.

I don't love the book, The Baby Whisperer, however, she has this great section on 10 steps to the perfect bath that I think is awesome. She also has helpful tips on infants and stimulation. We found that while sometimes we thought our babies were in pain, when in fact they were actually super overstimulated and just needed to chill out more during the day. The effects of this were evident always around feeds/sleep.

Hope you found something helpful here!

We used Mylicon when my LO was pretty young (less than 6 months) and for us, it never really seemed to make a difference. I've heard a lot of mamas have success with Gripewater.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

We never used anything for gas except belly massage, bicycle legs, or DH would hold him like this (this always worked the best...)

good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

This way has helped us a lot- it's like the pressure on their stomache makes them feel better. It's also good if you have a spitter because it goes on the floor and not all over them and you- no need to ch ange clothes *again*.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Hey mama We used Mylicon, and it really helped us. Our baby was sooooo gassy!!! She would get miserable. I also did, and still do, infant massage and leg pumps. Works awesome. Also the same hold as pp, pushing gently on her tummy. We don't need the drops anymore, and the dr I have said that it CAN help....it just breaks the huge bubbles up for them so they aren't so terribly uncomfortable.

Good luck!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

We just use like CVS gas drops -- which are essentially the same -- same product just cheaper since they are not brand name (generic). They work. And I totally don't see any downside. My ped was a little hesitant on us using gripe water since he said he didn't really think it helped -- but that we could try it and a lot of moms do swear by it. He was the one who recommended the gas drops.

AND I have seen it work; we have to fortify our breast milk for added calories: ie we take 2 oz of BM and add a tablespoon of formula to it, DR ordered. However when we swirl / mix the formula (being careful with the BM of course), I see air bubbles, so we just add in a couple drops of gas stuff, instantly no drops. Smooth beautiful milk!

It could only help.
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

Smile Re: Mylicon?

My little one has the same gassiness and we are users of mylicon..I like to think it helps break up her gas bubbles but by no means is it an insta-cure! Those gas relieving tips have also helped here too.. like belly rubbing, knees to belly, sitting up after feedings..
    I definately have a serious over active let down... serious!! And I am constantly lettung down even between feedings! I think I'll never safetly break free of the nursing pads~ When Annabella was smaller I could hold her diagonally/horizontally across my tummy and lean way back on some pillows to feed her..she was easier to hold that way when she weighed less!! So now we often lay down facing eachother and she stopped having to pull off during letdown..and come to think of it, even when we sit up these days she doesn't need to pull off always~usually only if she's not THAT hungry so it's too much for her..she takes it like a champion now! How old is your babe?? I had oversupply too and with the help of that technique my supply went down too.. Dejavu I just posted about all of this in another reply Goodluck to you.. also I think each month it gets easier for their tummy to digest so the gassiness goes away!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

thanks so much for all the replies! This forum has been such a blessing!!!

I've been using the Mylicon at night, but I dunno if it is working..sometimes i think yes, and then others nope not at all

The hold pictured seems to make my DS happy, but it doesn't really make him burp though. Sometimes it takes forever!!

Also , i have been experimenting with belly massage, but i dunno what i am doing!! How exactly is this done?
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!