Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm in sooo much pain

Exclamation I'm in sooo much pain

thursday my left breast started to feel sore. So i thought i might have a plugged duct. I started to massage it while breastfeeding and while in a hot tub. But it wasn't feeling better. 3:00am friday morning i woke up in absolute agony. I tried all day to focus my feedings on that side of the breast. But i was still in agony. I talked to my Public health nurse and she thought maybe i had been too forceful with my massaging. However today i'm still in pain. by the time i reached my next feeding i had this lump on the left side of my left breast. After feedings it's gone but it still hurts, and if i push hard enough i can still feel my breast hasn't completely drained. What should i do? I'm thinking about going to the doctors today but i wanted to check here to see if you ladies had any other ideas.
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Default Re: I'm in sooo much pain

If after a feeding the lump is gone, I would encourage you to put a cold compress on it instead of warmth. Warmth promotes blood flow which in turn promotes more milk production in the area. If you put something cold on it (bag of frozen peas or something) it will inhibit the blood flow to that area. Don't do it for too long (15 minutes or so, make sure you cover it with a cloth to prevent skin damage).
    you can also try changing positions on that breast. They say that wherever the chin points is where the strongest sucking is, so to fully empty that side, position baby so his chin is where the plug is.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

hows your nipple is it cracked and bleeding?

I tried nursing with my baby's jaw resting where the bulge is. It's softer (Still really tough but softer than before) but still really painful. How long should i keep trying this?? I'm assuming until the breast is soft. Should i pump as well? I don't really have a good pump though.
    My nipple are fine. It's just this rock hard section on my left side of my left breast.
    I just finsihed reading the page on kelly mom
    Yesterday i was really sick. Light headed, a fever of 38.7, chills, just plain horrible. But i didn't have the red streaks that they also talk about. I'm baffeled about this because this is the first time i've had this problem and i've been nursing for 9 months!
    I guess x-mas was a little more stressful than i realized. I wasn't eating or resting well at all. I never realized that it was so important until i read the kelly mom's page! Thanks for all the help!
    born 03/24/11, and and

if your not cracked and bleeding thats great....
    has your fever gone away?

rest is very important when dealing with plugged ducts!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hummingbird View Post
    Yesterday i was really sick. Light headed, a fever of 38.7, chills, just plain horrible. But i didn't have the red streaks that they also talk about.
    Your description really sounds like mastitis. It can be present without the red streaks.

You might want to try the following things if you haven't already:
    - All-fours nursing. Put baby on her back on the floor or bed and get on all fours. Dangle the affected breast into her mouth. Gravity may help draw out the plugs.
    - Pump. Even a not-great pump may help.
    - Start every feeding on the affected side, as babies usually suck hardest at the beginning of a nursing session, and more intense sucking may draw out the plugs.

Hope you're feeling better!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

it seems to be coming and going. I can see how rest is important. I went to get some groceries and i feel like someone hit me with a bus!!
    born 03/24/11, and and

I agree with mommal...sounds like Mastitis to me also. I've heard mothers say they feel like they have the flu when they have Mastitis. You should definitely give your doctor a call.

I have had this, and it def sounds like mastitis to me. If you have a nice herbal remedy store anywhere near you, I would pick up some poke root. It's a great alternative to getting on antibiotics, which can also cause thrush. My LC suggested it to me and it works great.

Thank you ladies I've already gone to the doctor and gotten treatment. Hopefully i'll be feeling better soon!
    born 03/24/11, and and