Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: non-bio mom comfort feeding

Default Re: non-bio mom comfort feeding

I think its wonderful that you want to shoulder some of the nursing responsibility and enjoy the bonding that nursing provides. This is a different situation than adoptive nursing, though, and its VERY important, as previous posters have mentioned, that your partner do all the nursing at least initially, to establish a good supply. Beyond that, you can be used much like a pacifier. In situations where women have adopted and nursed their children, and successfully established a milk supply, they have done the majority of nursing, which is what causes a supply to establish. In your situation, the bio mom is available for the nourishment, and trying to establish 2 nursing supplies with 1 baby might be asking for trouble.

As for the pshychological aspect, I certainly don't think it will be harmful. No different, IMO, than 2 parents feeding the baby a bottle, which happens all the time in bottle fed infants.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: non-bio mom comfort feeding

If you decide not to establish your own milk supply (I agree w/pp that having 2 milk supplies for 1 baby may mean trouble), you could most certainly at least cuddle w/the baby, skin-to-skin, w/o the actual nursing. Just remove your shirt and baby's clothes for contact bonding. This so essential for the baby's emotional well-being and you'll bond, regardless of nursing!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!