Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding too often?

Default feeding too often?

hi everyone. i hate to admit that i am starting to second guess myself.. my lo is 2 mos, and weighs 15.5 pounds..she was 7lbs 12oz when born, and has been gaining about 1.9oz A DAY!!! we are ebf, and i know they say that an ebf baby can't be "obese", but i'm starting to wonder now.. has anyone else here had a baby gain like this??

i wouldn't be so worried if everyone who heard her weight didn't freak out, and also i am starting to wonder if she's eating too often, b/c she is still nursing every 2 or 2.5 hours, during the day... she only catnaps for about 30 minutes at most, and when she wakes up she won't go back to sleep (we've tried and tried).. so eventually she gets fussy, and then i don't know what to do b/c it seems like i should go ahead and let her nurse if it's been 2.5 hours.. but sometimes i find myself thinking i should to stretch out the time between feedings, b/c i'm thinking i'm nursing her too often and making her huge. at night she eats every 4 or 5 hrs, and has pretty short nursing sessions then, draining the boobs quickly b/c she's much hungrier than during the day nursings.. during the day nursings (the ones i'm worried are too frequent), she nurses for about 40-50 minutes each session.

sorry so long. i'm just starting to worry that maybe i'm letting her eat too often, or too long. any insight is appreciated.
    Last edited by @llli*marinaew; January 3rd, 2009 at 01:09 AM.

Default Re: feeding too often?

DS gained 1 pound/week for many weeks. Now he's down to 2 oz / week. So, not to worry, your baby's weight gain will slow down. Just continue to feed on demand and enjoy your baby. Sounds like you're doing great!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I can't remember the exact weights, but my LO gained rapidly her first six months. She was always above the 95th percentile - off the charts - in height and weight. Once she hit 6 months and was crawling, then walking, it started slowing down. She was a chubby-looking baby for a while there but stinkin' adorable! She doesn't look overweight at all now.

It's very normal for a breastfed baby to continue eating every 2-3 hours, and even more frequently during growth spurts! It sounds like you are doing everything right - feeding your baby when she's hungry, and letting her nurse until she is done. That's the way to keep the supply-and-demand system running smoothly. Scheduling feedings or intentionally stretching out time between feedings is a surefire way to lower your milk supply.

Here's a link that might help reassure you: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gro...t-toomuch.html
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

thanks so much. i feel so much better now.

people were looking at me funny when i tell them she is still eating every 2 hours.. and her ped said about her weight "it's fine for now while she is this young..if this keeps up, we may need to look at some things".. but he didn't qualify "if this keeps up", so i don't know how far ahead he's thinking, but it kind of made me feel like i was overfeeding. so i did some more searching on the interwebs, and lots of other mamas talking about their babies still nursing every 2 hrs at 2 mos.. combined with your replies, i'm feeling much better now.

i'm wondering when the rapid weight gain will slow down. right now we can't even buy diapers cheap (in bulk) b/c she's growing out of sizes before we can finish them.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinaew View Post
    her ped said about her weight "it's fine for now while she is this young..if this keeps up, we may need to look at some things"..
    Pshaw... IMO that's completely ridiculous to even be considering at this point. She's a two-month-old baby - gaining weight is a good thing!

i'm wondering when the rapid weight gain will slow down. right now we can't even buy diapers cheap (in bulk) b/c she's growing out of sizes before we can finish them.. lol
    Switch to cloth!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    Switch to cloth!
    i dunno, switching to cloth seems awfully...ambitious.. LOL

your little one is so, so cute in the avatar..it makes me smile every time i see it.

thanks so much for the good, sound advice!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinaew View Post
    people were looking at me funny when i tell them she is still eating every 2 hours
    My lo is over 9 months and still nurses every 2 hours or less (and he's been eating solids for 3 months). I only tell certain people. When unsupportive (is that a word?) people ask how he is nursing I just say "he's going great! "

because when you think about it, Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack . . . that's about evey 2-ish hours and that's normal toddler eating
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

people were looking at me funny when i tell them she is still eating every 2 hours..
    Don't worry- eating every 2 hours is TOTALLY NORMAL for an exclusively breastfed, young baby. Breastmilk digests fast- in about 90 minutes, if I remember correctly. When people look at you funny, it's probably because they are used to the eating patterns of formula-fed infants, who can go longer between feeds because formula digests so much slower. Not better, just slower!

My daughter nursed every 1.5 hours during the day until she was well over a year old. (More or less, that is: around 6 months she started going 3 hours between feeds when in public.) She was a big baby- >75th percentile for weight and height, but around 6 months, when she became mobile, her weight gain decreased and she started to slip down the weight charts, though her height continue to be in the highest percentiles. Today, at nearly 3, she is a very tall, slender child with visible ribs and abdominal musculature.

Oh, and in case you're thinking that your baby is somehow abnormal for gaining so much weight, there are definitely babies out there who are/were just like her. My DH gained a pound a week on breastmilk alone in the early months, and then transformed into a skinny child.

and her ped said about her weight "it's fine for now while she is this young..if this keeps up, we may need to look at some things"..
    When discussing your child's weight, your ped should have stopped at "it's fine," because it is!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with that last statement.... Doctors

Sometimes are not cool!

I know lots of adults that cann't wait 4 hours to eat/drink something.
    And a baby has such a tiny tummy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    I agree with that last statement.... Doctors

Sometimes are not cool!

I know lots of adults that cann't wait 4 hours to eat/drink something.
    And a baby has such a tiny tummy
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet