Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lost supply?

Default lost supply?

When my supply started going down, I started supplementing formula after nursing. My ds is now 4 1/2 months, and I thought my supply was completely lost, so I have not been nursing at all for the past week. But, I'm really not ready to give up just yet. Do I still have a chance to try to get my supply back up or is it just too late?

Default Re: lost supply?

You may need to try some herbs (fennugreek and blessed thistle, or alfalfa), but I don't think all is lost. You may also need to do some power pumping. (15 minutes on, 15 minutes off, for as long as your can stand.) Have you tried an SNS instead of just feeding formula out of a bottle? BUT... I'd try posting in the relactating section because I'm not an expert. Good Luck!!

Default Re: lost supply?

You can probably get your supply back, but you'll have to work at it. Nursing with formula in an SNS will be the easiest way, if your baby will do that. The other way is double-pumping with a hospital grade pump, 8 times a day or more, for about 20 minutes each session. You can get prescription medicine from your doctor that will help bring your supply back, in conjunction with the frequent nursing/pumping.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.