Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: the teeth are making me want to quit!

Default the teeth are making me want to quit!

I posted a few days ago (maybe a week?) about DD's teeth, I really need some encouragement ladies!!! We've been pretty lucky. No major issues. BF has been - for the most part - easy.
    She's got five teeth now and they rub when she nurses. I've tried re-latching her, I've tried positioning her, I've tried lanolin around the nipple. It hurts and it irritates me. I'm having a really hard time with this!!! I wanna cry.
    DH has suggested I pump more and we give her more bottles. I'm on the fence about this, but seriously considering it now.
    I plan to wean after 12 months. I know it is good for them to continue, but I originally thought I'd wean at 6 months. I know it may take a month or two for her to be fully weaned but I will be starting at 12 months. (She's 9 1/2 months now). Up until now I though 12 months was close. Now I don't know if I can make it until then!!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: the teeth are making me want to quit!

no advice, DS doesnt have a hint of a tooth yet, but i cant imagine the pain. I hope it lets up soon.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Are the bottoms or tops rubbing? Or both? If she has a really good latch on there you shouldn't be able to feel the bottoms because her tongue would be in the way. As far as the tops...I am not sure. Maybe try a different nursing position? I'm just really guessing here....

I know Kaitlyns.mom has issues every time her LO gets a tooth....maybe she will be on here soon and give some helpful hints!

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I think the worst ours has ever been was when the fifth tooth came in! How long has it been hurting? When did the teeth come in?

With us, it's cyclical. DD will sometimes bite when she is actively teething, then it will get better when the tooth breaks through. The worst is when the new tooth is getting to be closer in length to the other teeth, because at that point it's still very sharp. It will start to wear down as DD chews on anything and everything she can get her mouth on. Then it stops hurting. Generally there are always little indentations on the areola where her top teeth rest, but they only hurt for about a week, generally a few weeks after the new tooth first pops through.

I haven't had much luck with changing positions or any of that, and I don't get relief when I switch sides because she only nurses on the right side. The only thing I have found to help is holding her body up way higher than I would think I need to, so that the weight of her head and body isn't dragging down on the nipple. It's also much less painful when we nurse lying down vs. cradle position.

I hope you're able to work through this and find relief soon. I know there are many mamas who have been able to pump exclusively and I think they are amazing for doing it! But if you can work through this I think it will be much easier on you. I can't make any promises but I don't think it will always hurt. I think it is a temporary pain that will go away as those sharp new teeth start to dull. It happens much faster than you would imagine.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I just typed this whole long response and DD came over and started hitting keys and erased it all.
    I have tried relatching her - sometimes her latch gets shallow. But when she's doing that it's a battle because she'll just keep pulling back everytime I re latch her. I hold her tight and try not to give her room but she actually puts her hand on my chest and pushes to get further back.
    Her tongue is showing though. So the bottom teeth aren't actually rubbing. It's the top three that are the problem.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I hate to type this but could you be pg?
    OR having your period return.
    Teeth didn't bother me untill I was pg.