Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: using SNS/ not emptying breast

Default using SNS/ not emptying breast

My LO is 6 months, and we've had to use an SNS the whole time because of my medical conditions. Lately we have a new problem... first of all, he hasn't taken my bare breast since maybe 6 weeks. I've discovered now though that he's not emptying my breast of milk! I've been pumping during Christmas break after feeding him just to get the milk out, but I have no idea what else to do to get him to empty the breast. I'm filling the whole SNS with donor breastmilk (YAY, no formula!), which is about 6 oz., and switching breasts when he's half through. Any suggestions as to what to do? I only produce maybe an ounce of milk a day, and I hate to think that my supply could go down because what I do produce isn't being used. I am using the red tubing already. I just finished feeding him and then pumping, and got out 6 cc (mL) of milk - I'm using small preemie bottles that tell you how many ccs you get so I don't have to guess. When I'm at work, I get about 8 ccs per breast.

Default Re: using SNS/ not emptying breast

Hi, I am also using an SNS for my 5.5 month old. Is the not emptying the breast issue new? Sometimes babies learn to "drink through the straw" so to speak with the SNS. We have other suck/pallette/tongue issues over here, so I know that those things contribute to my DS not emptying me. If it is just the straw thing, you could try taping it under your nipple so that it is in the center of LO's bottom lip and keeping it just behind the tip of your nipple (instead of letting it stick out beyond it per the instructions). Are you working with an LC? She may have more suggestions for you.
    2001 2004 2008

Not too familiar with SNS issues, but what if you put less in the SNS? Then he would have to stay longer at the breast to fill up and that would stimulate you to produce more. 6 ounces at a time sounds like a lot to me. You could also not switch breasts during a feeding, that way he is stimulating one side for even longer and encouraging it to produce more.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Thanks, I'll try both of those suggestions.

Another thought with the SNS, you could lower the container to encourage LO to suck harder. Make sure it is not frustrating though.
    2001 2004 2008