Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Sucking

Default Re: Hand Sucking

Yup, totally normal! That was the point when I just started to offer more as well.
    It's funny kaitlynsmom, my DD headbutts my chest too! It's like she's dive-bombing the boobs! LOL
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

My son is 2.5 month and I notice the same behavior too!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Yup, totally normal! That was the point when I just started to offer more as well.
    It's funny kaitlynsmom, my DD headbutts my chest too! It's like she's dive-bombing the boobs! LOL
    My DD1 did this too! She would also turn her head really fast from side to side against my nipple and then head butt me a few times before finally latching on! And on top of that she would usually wind up getting sprayed in the face with milk b/c as soon as she started I would let down. I would laugh so hard at her sometimes I was in tears by the she latched on!

My DD2 is a total hand sucker! She had her thumb in her mouth within 5 minutes of birth though-it's never been aa hungry thing for her. It's all about comforting herself, and just sticking something in her mouth.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Yep, DS did the same thing. His hand-gnawing went from frantically shoving hands in his mouth (=hungry) to gnawing on them a lot of the time (=curious).
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

my girl started doing this since about 2 months old as well. she does that even right after a feed! so sometimes i thought she might still be hungry so i offer her my breast. usually she will take it. but if we are outside, i will just let her continue sucking her fist. she dont suck long anyway. sometimes it might be because they are hungry. sometimes it might just be comfort sucking. its good if they know how to soothe themselves especially if they do this to fall asleep. this way, they can fall asleep themselves independently without needing your nipple!

My little girl started hand sucking at around 3 months and now she's started repeatedly moving her hand up and down to her mouth as if she's feeding...I still find it difficult to work out if she's hungry and having problems with low milk supply makes me paranoid about it.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

I had to totally throw out hand sucking as a hunger cue around this age- he sucked on his hands, fists, fingers 24/7!