Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Sucking

Default Hand Sucking

Typically hand sucking with LO has meant that it's nursing time. She turns 3 months old today and is doing great. I'm thinking that the meaning of it is changing now as she's sucking on her hands much more often (without the fussing accompanying it). I think she's just sucking her hands for the enjoyment of it now!

Is this the age that you found that hand sucking increased due to discovery rather than hunger? I'm not saying that it will be completely replaced, I'm sure it will still mean hunger as well.

I need some back up so that I can get DH to still hold her when she hand sucks. It's not ALWAYS a reason to pass her off anymore!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Hand Sucking

It's certainly possible. I think Naomi was about that age when she started hand sucking for enjoyment.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

My dd came out of the womb with a suck blister on her hand! lol, she has always been a finger/hand sucker, but now at four months she has learned how to move the hand there for that specific purpose. She won't nurse to sleep anymore, but will suck her hand until she falls asleep. :-)
    Daughter of God, Wife to my wonderful Hubby, Mama to DD(8-28-08) Angel Baby (8-2-09) and due with DS (7-5-10)!
    We , , and all day long!

The timing of this post if PERFECT. My LO will be 12 weeks old on Monday and in the last week I have noticed the same exact thing! Just last night after I fed him, ( we were laying in bed together) He started sucking his hand, I was thinking to myself "there is no way you can still be hungry" sure enough, he sucked away til he fell asleep. I wonder if its the begining stages of teething? Still seems so early for that?
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

My 8 week old does this more and more. At first It signaled to me that he was hungry now he does it all the time. I was glad to see this post
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Yea, many times it means my daughter is hungry, but other times it's just evident that she wants to jam both of her fists in her mouth. She's starting to want to mouth everything. I try her on the breast first; if she takes it, great, if not, I leave her to her hands.

IIRC that is the same age when my LO started mouthing her hands all the time. It was confusing at first but I just started offering the breast whenever I was in doubt, and she developed other ways of asking to nurse (like head butting my chest ).
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Sounds perfectly fine. Babies are obsessed with putting everything in their mouths. DS started sucking his thumb at 3 months. I fed him well so he certainly wasn't hungry.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

My son is 2 months, and just started doing this as well. I don't use pacifiers, so I guess the next best thing would be his hand.

thid is called finding the midline and is developmental stage