Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I have a couple of reasons on no rice cereal?

Default Can I have a couple of reasons on no rice cereal?

My mom, God bless her, she means well but she keeps suggesting rice cereal for my Ds who is 4 mo old. Can someone give 1 or 2 reasons not to? Like it's a potential allergy producer, right? My DH's family are all allergic to foods (no one in my family is). I love my mom and don't want to be nasty, I'd just like to give her a couple of solid facts why not to so she'll stop suggesting it. She supports me with b/f, just thinks DS is hungry a lot (she's right! but that's ok with me- I keep feeding him!)

Thanks!

Default Re: Can I have a couple of reasons on no rice cereal?

I'm in a bit of a rush... but very quickly here are a couple reasons:

1. Baby's digestive system is still immature ...
    Kellymom states:
    "If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). ... The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months." The rice cereal is mostly starch ... very processed starch.

2. Delaying solids helps to protect baby from iron-deficiency anemia.
    Kellymom states:
    "The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorption. Healthy, full-term infants who are breastfed exclusively for periods of 6-9 months have been shown to maintain normal hemoglobin values and normal iron stores."

3. And the obvious biggie is allergy risks ... whether your family has them or not, introducing solids too early *increases* the likelihood of your baby developing allergies themselves.

Also see: http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/virgingut.htm

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you! You're always so helpful! I wonder, why did my Ped tell me that I should use rice cereal after 6 months because he will start to lose iron? I didn't read the article yet, I'll check out that link next- but isn't that weird that he said that I should give him iron? or is that normally said by peds?

Sorry this is so short again ... a busy day here! I just wanted to send a couple links

Iron Fortified Cereal in Breastfed Infants by Jay Gordon, MD

Is Iron Supplementation Necessary?

The Truth About Iron: Do Breastfed Babies Need Supplements?

IMHO, it is far better to feed your baby (after 6 months) healthy, whole foods that are naturally high in iron (foods that are high in iron ... breastmilk , winter squash, sweet potatoes, grains such as millet and quinoa), rather than a processed rice cereal that has artificially been enhanced with iron supplements. HTH!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by MomofAaron
    Thank you! You're always so helpful! I wonder, why did my Ped tell me that I should use rice cereal after 6 months because he will start to lose iron? I didn't read the article yet, I'll check out that link next- but isn't that weird that he said that I should give him iron? or is that normally said by peds?
    My pedi tested Luke's iron at his 4 mo check up and said it was well above what was necessary

Cool Re: Can I have a couple of reasons on no rice cereal?

I agree with the pp just delaying it they say can prevent allergies in general. My husbands family also has high allergies and that is why my son's dr told me no rush. And there is always teh super btchy answer of..."It's my son and I make the decisions"

You may also find this helpful:

http://lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

Good luck!

4 months seems awfully young to me. I have a 4 month old who doesn't seem romotely even interested in anything but breast milk and is thriving off of it.

My cousin told me I should start feeding her cereal as well, but I am waiting.

Awesome, thank you all! I'm sure she'll be cool with these explanations! Not that I owe her one, but at least she'll stop now, I hope!