Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can baby get back on breast after being bottle fed for 3months?

Default can baby get back on breast after being bottle fed for 3months?

My daughter is 5 months old and I have been exclusively pumping for 3 months. I made the stupid decision to put a bottle in her mouth at 6 weeks and she loved it! So much so that she refused to bf. I have been so depressed about the whole ordeal because breastfeeding was the most wonderful experience I have ever had. I would do anything to turn back time and do over!

I have tried to get her back on the breast but she cries when she gets close to my breasts and I have purchased nipple shields and its not working. she will latch on briefly with the shields but she then figures out that its not her bottle and begins to cry.

Is there any mothers out there that has gotten an older baby back on the breast and is there any other techniques to try to get her back on?

Default Re: can baby get back on breast after being bottle fed for 3months?

There's a whole series of baby-steps in getting a non-latching baby on the breast. Rather than focussing on getting her back on, the 1st step is to get her comfortable, once again, with your breasts. All her experiences at the breast should be happy. She should learn that the breast is a warm comforting place where she gets milk. I would suggest that everytime you bottle-feed her, you have her cheek resting against your bare breast. She will smell your milk and feel the warmth of your skin. Always talk to her gently and encouragingly when she is at your breast. If she resists being against your bare breast, you can start by having your breast covered, then gradually work on having it uncovered. Once you have been doing this for quite some time and she is comfortable with your breasts, the next step in this progression is to perhaps express some milk while she is at your breast, she may be curious and may smell or lick your nipple. Then in the next step she may mouth your nipple. Then in a later step she may latch while sleepy. Then later she may latch while wide awake. You will need to be very persistent, but also very patient, this is not going to happen overnight!

My friend got her baby on the breast at 4 months after being off for 6 weeks. The main thing she used was gentle persistence. She made sure baby never got upset. She talked to her baby and said 'you can do it, you know how'. She tried many times. At first, the baby would only latch on when sleepy, then eventually she was back at the breast full-time. There are many stories of adoptive mothers who have persisted and gotten their older babies on the breast.

One good source for you is the Breastfeeding Answer Book (it has the whole progression of baby-steps you go through when getting getting a non-latching baby on the breast). You can buy it yourself from the LLL store or borrow a copy from your local LLL group. Another good source is Dr Newman's video. Its got a whole chapter on the non-latching baby and what to do.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 31st, 2008 at 02:39 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I was wondering the same thing, although my baby girl is only 11 days old. I have been having issues getting her to latch on, she has only been able to do it twice or three times since birth. I had 3 different lactation consultants and all 4 nurses in the hospital trying to help me - but to no avail. After being home I've had to give her bottles (of pumped milk and occasionally formula when I dont have enough milk to give her). I was really looking forward to breast feeding. When my mom was her it was ok, she would feed her or hold her while I pumped, but as of yesterday I'm on my own, which has cut into my naps LOL. I get her up - feed her - get her to sleep - pump and its time to start all over again.

But if there is hope that she may eventually "catch" on - I'll grasp at straws. I try almost every feeding - when she is awake that is - ive found that when i have to wake her - its a losing battle that ends with both of us in tears. She really is a trouper and tries, but just can't get it. Her tongue is often in the way - it doesnt go down (or so it seems), she also has a "weak" lower jaw that I think maybe an issue with the latch.

Thanks for "listening" ladies, i look forward to learning from you all.

How does one go about getting a LLL person to come to my house to help? Is there a fee involved? Do I just call one of the ones closest to me? I've not heard of this service, and not sure it would help - but i'm getting desperate.

THANKS!
    M

P.S. I'm going back to work in about 5 weeks - I'm a teacher - and will only have one chance during the day (from about 7 - 5) to pump. So is getting her to breast feed even a good idea, when soon I'll be taking it away from her again?
    Last edited by @llli*mak8946; December 31st, 2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Adding information

Yes!! You can! I did!

I breastfeed for a few days after birth, then started exclusively pumping for a few weeks, then I breastfeed for a few weeks before I had mastitis then thrush. I was exclusively pumping again since all those issues. I put her up to my breast early December while out Christmas shopping, since I didn’t feel like sending DH out to the car to heat up a bottle. She cried and fussed at first. She didn’t quite know what to do with my nipple. LOL It took her awhile but she caught on and had her full meal. Since I’ve put her up to my breast every morning and added a late afternoon session. I have OALD and just this past week my baby has been able to nurse through it.

I’m still pumping, mainly for my sanity. It is so much easier for me to pump 3 times a day and keep a schedule (since I work 3rd shift).

I realize I’m very blessed it really took little effort to get her back to the breast. I’m so thankful for that, for the fact my little piggy just wants milk, no matter how she gets it.

I don't have any advice. I wish you the best of luck!!
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    One good source for you is the Breastfeeding Answer Book (it has the whole progression of baby-steps you go through when getting getting a non-latching baby on the breast). You can buy it yourself from the LLL store or borrow a copy from your local LLL group. Another good source is Dr Newman's video. Its got a whole chapter on the non-latching baby and what to do.
    I am going to go get this book now based on your recommendation. I am counting on reversing nipple confusion (due to her NUK paci) and I am so glad to read this thread and all the following advice too. My LO is nearly 4 months and never has had the breast -- or bottle lol. We will be working EXTRA hard with the SNS by Medela! Keep me posted on your success / struggles. I will be curious on how it goes.

Good luck!
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

I am going to go get this book now based on your recommendation. I am counting on reversing nipple confusion (due to her NUK paci) and I am so glad to read this thread and all the following advice too. My LO is nearly 4 months and never has had the breast -- or bottle lol.
    Its sold on amazon.com (new and used), but is a little cheaper from the LLL store if you're a member. Anyway, its a very thick coil-bound book and covers much much more than the usual breastfeeding books. I wish I'd had it for my non-latching 1st baby. Its got all the special cases in there. I would love to know your progress.

There is one last technique that I didn't mention before. It is called the baby-led, mother-guided latch. It takes advantage of the natural 'feeding sequence' that all babies are born with. This rooting reflex is strongest in babies 0-3 months, but the idea might help an older baby too. Dr Newman has some video clips on his website that illustrate the idea. There is also a DVD on this called, "Baby-Led Breastfeeding...The Mother-Baby Dance".

http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 2nd, 2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mak8946 View Post
    How does one go about getting a LLL person to come to my house to help? Is there a fee involved? Do I just call one of the ones closest to me? I've not heard of this service, and not sure it would help - but i'm getting desperate.
    Just call a Leader in your area. House calls are something that some do and some don't. Usually if there are at least a few close to you someone might be willing to come or at least meet you somewhere. No fee at all, you can join and become a member, but it's not required to get help. Leaders are 100% volunteer.

P.S. I'm going back to work in about 5 weeks - I'm a teacher - and will only have one chance during the day (from about 7 - 5) to pump. So is getting her to breast feed even a good idea, when soon I'll be taking it away from her again?
    I think it would be a good idea. Would you starve yourself now if you knew a famine was coming or feed yourself well while you had food in the pantry? I'd eat till the last minute!

Thanks everyone for the support!!! This has been very hard for me and I am so glad I have found this sight ! I will try everyones advice and I hope it will work out. Even if it doesn't turn out the way I want it, I will still continue to pump. No matter what she will recieve mother's milk

Thanks again everyone
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year