Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any advice for the larger chested woman?

Default Any advice for the larger chested woman?

I'm a fairly larger chested lady and it seems that the baby and I are comfortable in just one position him laying on his side on my boppy and I still have to hold my breast back from his nose. It seems like other positions I'm smothering him. Any advice????
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Default Re: Any advice for the larger chested woman?

Time will take care of your problem! As your baby gets bigger and stronger and can really control his head and start to hold the breast himself, you will be able to nurse in all sorts of crazy positions.

Until then, you can use a rolled-up washcloth to prop your breast up, or you can try using pillows to position yourself and your baby, or you can invest in a Booby Booster. (I don't know if the BB works, but it's a cool idea and I'm hoping someone will try one and let me know!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had to hold back my boob from smothering and covering my dd's nose for a while...I laid on my side while my dd laid on her side on my bed or couch! I couldn't really do it too well sitting up...I think it was more comfy for the both of us!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jlk51496 View Post
    I had to hold back my boob from smothering and covering my dd's nose for a while...I laid on my side while my dd laid on her side on my bed or couch! I couldn't really do it too well sitting up...I think it was more comfy for the both of us!

Also belly to belly (lie on your back and they lie on your tummy).
    And hold LO in a sitting up position on your knee facing your boob...

It does get better and then they get distracted and carry your boob off with then while turning their head or just pop on and off as things happen
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Time will take care of your problem! As your baby gets bigger and stronger and can really control his head and start to hold the breast himself, you will be able to nurse in all sorts of crazy positions.

Until then, you can use a rolled-up washcloth to prop your breast up, or you can try using pillows to position yourself and your baby, or you can invest in a Booby Booster. (I don't know if the BB works, but it's a cool idea and I'm hoping someone will try one and let me know!)
    PP coudlnt have said it any better.

Just deal with having to nurse with both hands for now (i did) it sucks having to wait to eat yourself and do things with your "free"hand which you dont have.

Your LO will soon be strong and HOLD your breast up for you MINE DOES

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Thanks ladies!!!!
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Smile Re: Any advice for the larger chested woman?

I am also of the large chested variety..lol. I am currently breastfeeding for the second time around. (my new little one is 3 months) I find it easier to nurse with baby in the football hold..where his/her body runs under your arm to side. He is comfy and So am I. I did this with my 1st also..he is now 3 yrs. And if you have the right pillow that supports your baby, you can even have 1 hand free to eat yourself..

I was holding my breast to keep from smothering my lo for months

but now there's no need anymore

Just time mama. And like pp suggested, a rolled up towel may work wonders!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet