Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - 4.5 month old - sudden change sleep/attitude - desperate and tired

Default Help - 4.5 month old - sudden change sleep/attitude - desperate and tired

I am just so exhuasted. He is 4.5 months now. He is just over 15 lbs and was born 2 weeks early at 6 lbs 6 oz

My boy was doing so well...he would go with a 5 to 7 hour stretch at night and then maybe a 4 hr stretch between feeds.

For the last 5 or 6 days it has been horrific. He was fussy during the day and at night...well, he is up every 2 or 3 hours. I used to be able to put a pacifier in his mouth to calm him..no more. I feed him as that is the only way to seemingly settle him. I am so tired now that I just take him into bed with me to feed and he will fall asleep at my breast for a bit.

He is not "really" eating more during the day so I don't know if it is a spurt or not. It has been too long for a spurt has it not? He is also "sad" during the day much of the time - fussy or irritable. Not talking as much etc

I have read all about the 4 month sleep regression thing. Is this it?

How do I know he is just not ready for some solids with my milk? (ps - 95 percent breastmilk - will take bottles)

I had a Dr check him out...no ear infection and no major signs of teething.

Please tell me what this is and how I can help him? And help me? I am getting depressed

Default Re: Help - 4.5 month old - sudden change sleep/attitude - desperate and tired

Is he starting to hit some big milestones? I know that DD's patterns change pretty dramatically when she's working on something new. I have a book called The Wonder Weeks, and it talks about different stages of development and how they are linked to fussiness. They say there's a big one around 19 weeks, that can last for up 5 weeks.

I think some kids are more subtle teethers than other too. Could you try slipping him some teething tabs or Camilia (both homeopathics) just to see if his disposition improves?

Is he eating/peeing/pooping well?

At the end of the day you have to trust your Mommy instinct. Do you feel like there's something wrong? Or are you mostly just finding the changes confusing/frustrating?

ETA: he is pretty young for solids yet. Baby's gut isn't mature enough to begin processing anything but BM/formula until six months of age. The AAP doesn't recommend any solids until six months, and even then it is mostly just experimenting with tastes and textures for quite a while. Solids need not make up any significant portion of a child's diet until they are a year old. Solids will not help him sleep.
    Last edited by @llli*jessruff; January 2nd, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Default Re: Help - 4.5 month old - sudden change sleep/attitude - desperate and tired

I wonder if it is a Wonder Week. He just started Jolly Jumping and Exersaucer(ing). The fussiness began the same night. No other changes that I am seeing.

Eating and peeing and pooping fine.

Are you SURE solids don't help? Like rice pablum in their breastmilk? Why then do moms say it helped their kids sleep? (you can see I am tired and just want relief...I am not trying to be confrontational...just trying to learn)

I do think teething can play a roll here though. Who knows. He is always sucking on his hand (but no other teething signs). Just a desperate need to suck.

Hi!

My bab ystarted teething at about 3 months. Still no teeth! (She's 7mo) She's fine for a while, then for a few days she's sucking....chewing....etc. This has been on and off for almost 4 months Maybe use some teething chewies from the freezer? Mine seems to love them.

Otherwise I am not sure mama, so sorry Hang in there!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

IDK why some moms say that solids helped their kids sleep - we've been trying solids and for the past two days her sleeping is worse, not better! I wasn't trying them to get her to sleep better, just thought she was ready (she's about 5.5 months).

My LO stopped sleeping well at about 12 weeks and became grumpy at the same time. Do you know how much sleep your LO is getting each day? Maybe track the hours - the sudden fussiness may be from him being overtired. Once we changed our sleeping situation (started co-sleeping and nursing her down in my bed for naps) she was much happier. We are now working on getting her back into her bed but that's a whole other post. But I will add that after 2 months of crazy sleep for the most part she is now sleeping well so it will get better. Just sleep when he does, I promise that if you get some sleep yourself things will look much better.

http://www.kellymomm.com/nutrition/solids/solids-sleep.html

A link about solids and sleep for you.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63