Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this reflux?

Default Is this reflux?

I had oald with my dd from the get go and my LC also thought my baby had reflux. I did 1 sided nursing, nursed her upright with her head turned so she could handle the flow, etc. The issue kind of seemed to resolve as she got better at taking the letdown.
    She is now 14 weeks tomorrow. For the last several weeks, she has only been able to nurse for a few minutes before pulling off whining and arching her back. I often have better luck with the sidelying position which is why nighttime feeding are rarely an issue. The problem is, because nighttime feedings are smoother, she does most of her eating at night. Her weight gain slowed to a little less than half an ounce a day since she turned 2 months. Sometimes I can feed her while walking and swaying so she'll stay on, but the majority of those feeds aren't that good since she's sleeping/ eating. Is this reflux? Keeping her upright for 20-30 minutes doesn't seem to keep her from spitting up ( although she only spits up a small amount). I don't want to put her on meds, but the other usual recommendations aren't working. What is the problem??

Default Re: Is this reflux?

I'm not sure. I thought reflux got better as they get older? Anyway, DS started back-arching in the cradle-position around 3/4 months, he just didn't like that position anymore. So I started lying down for almost all of his feeds. I still do that now. The only time he will eat in the cradle hold is if he's really hungry.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

dr sears has some great info on his web site about reflux or gerd....
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t106004.asp

is she very fussy?
    OR seam to be in pain?

or is it just the pulling off that is bothering you?

She's normally a lovely, happy person, only crying when she's tired or when she has this feeding issue, so even though she exhibits many symptoms of reflux, I'm just not convinced that that's it.

Have you tried feeding her more frequently? One so she her tummy gets less full. And two so she sucks less vigorously and this will cause your milk to come down slower.

Does the side-lying position help during the day?

Both my babies spat up a lot. I don't think its a problem unless it causes them discomfort.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Reflux I am an expert at. My baby is maxed out on meds and had her oesophogus stapled partially shut around her stomach so the food will stay down -- we have no spit ups (or burps for that matter) but like I said -- I know reflux. Mainly my baby encounters it anywhere from 20 mins to an hour after the feeding, mainly at 45 mins after eating. We feed her upright and leave her upright for 30 mins. She sometimes gets a little reflux when she is gassy -- so try gas drops, they're harmless and over the counter. I have found that making sure the gas comes out has everything to do with her retching. So pump LO's legs and make sure that gas isn't the culprit.

BUT since she doesn't have problems side lying feeds, it doesn't seem like it really is "reflux." Since your let down seemed to play into it, I would examine that more. Try pumping a little milk or expressing some to make sure your let down isn't crazy or something. Couldn't hurt to try.

And reflux meds aren't a super bad thing either. It will make the food stay down and baby a lot happier -- both totally great. I was hesitant when our ped wanted to increase her dosage, but now that he has, DD is so much happier.
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

I think the pp is right. And since your gut is telling you that's not it, chances are you are right. Maybe she is swallowing air when she is awake. Does burping her mid feed help?
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Once in awhile burping mid-feed does help, but often times it doesn't. I've also noticed that she's started to spit up sometimes mid-feed, as in spitting up on my boob. However, she doesn't seem to mind and doesn't miss a beat; she just keeps right on going.
    Also, feeding her smaller meals is what happens during the day, and then she has her larger feeds at night. I'm basically never sleeping because any time she stirs (we're co-sleeping) I'm rolling over and sticking the boob in her mouth to make sure she's getting enough.

i don't really have any answers, but i do think that reflux is tricky b/c not every infant displays the same/all of the symptoms. esp when you're dealing with silent reflux. for me, i noticed a lot of grimacing when she would wake up crying b/c she was uncomfortable with the reflux..but i never saw that symptom on any website when i looked up reflux info.