Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exclusively Pumping Mothers out there?

Default Exclusively Pumping Mothers out there?

I have been exclusively pumping for 3 months now because I put a bottle in my daughters mouth at 6 weeks and she loved it so much that she refused to bf. I tried everything to get her back on the breast. Skin-to-skin contact, nipple shields, everything! I felt like a failure and felt so depressed . I then made the decision to exclusively pump even though the people around me thought it was gross. I still feel alone. My family doesnt support me because they dont understand why I am not wanting to give her formula.

I live in a very small town where you dont here of many women bfing much less exclusively pumping. I had to learn on my own and I have never felt so proud of myself. Pumping exclusively is hard work! You have the challanges of a bfing and bottlefeeding mother put together!!! The hardest thing about it is worring about the oz! I keep a diary of every pumping session since october 1st. When I am down an ounce I freek out! Ha Ha. Once I hit 32 oz I began to drop sessions which caused my milk to decrease. It went from 32 to 26oz. Fenugreek brought it back up to 30oz a day.

I have no one to talk to about my experiences with pumping so to all you exclusively pumping mothers out there, what are your challanges and how many oz do you pump in a day? Also, how many times in a 24hr period do you pump?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Default Re: Exclusively Pumping Mothers out there?

You're doing a great job! I think it is even more challenging to go from breastfeeding to exclusive pumping then it is to EP from the start. In my case I was never able to get DS to latch, so I started pumping from the beginning and caused an oversupply. I pumped 6x a day for a long time, but now that DS is 15 months he is drinking 20oz a day so I only pump 3x a day. I want to cut down to 2 in a couple months though.

You really are doing a great job and don't let anyone put you down. If you start to feel down, there are a few EP moms on here who are glad to support you!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Good job Mama for sticking it out I know nolies.mama and mommyto lance are exclusive pumpers so they will have some good advice.

Hang in there
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi mama!

Yes, it is hard, but you are doing the best for your baby!

Right now I am pumping 5x a day. I have had a ton of supply issues so I am trying to find the best course to keep things going well and keep him in mama's milk.

Any time you need anything you just ask! You'll find a ton of support here!

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I know just how you feel -- and I think I just read your post on the other board about trying to get LO back to the breast? At least you can watch your baby enjoy your milk! Think of the positives whenever you feel low!! She is getting your amazing milk and you are sacrificing yourself--energy, time and patience! I have been EPing for 4 months now, coming up on 5 and have no plan to quit.

I know it feels sucky to EP. Tied to the pump and alone too.

Get this: My mom was at my house last month and I had to pump so I went in the bedroom to pump while she watched DD. When my mom walked in to tell me something, she stopped dead in her tracks and started cracking up saying, "I didn't know you did both at the same time. You look ridiculous." Gee mom thanks. SO my sister (who is only 16) comes in and says, "Yeah you look stupid." And I replied, "Hey I am giving my baby my milk. This is important." And my mom laughed and my sister said, "Well you still look dumb."

WHOA. back up. So yeah, I know you how you feel -- we EPers gotta stick together! And by the way, I totally believe you can get baby back to the breast. I hope so anyway! My LO has no suck (at all) and we will still be working on her latch and swallowing as soon as we get medically cleared because I have hope that once she has her cleft palate repaired at 12-15 months of age, maybe I too can BF.

Just keep your chin up, know you are doing your best, baby is still benefiting from MM and you are incredible for all the extra work! The hope of someday having my LO at the breast keeps my spirits up, so don't abandon that yours will come back with some persistance!!!!

I think I pump about 6 times a day and around 30 oz. I don't count. My baby only takes in 2 oz every 3 hours around the clock, so I just dump the rest. I have an over abundance. But I have been pumping since about 3 hours after birth, so my supply has always been great -- and I have to get up every 4 hours at night to chance DD's feeding bag (she is on a pump that feeds her continously at 35 ml an hour) so I just go ahead and pump then since I am already up -- and that way it is fresh and can sit out in her bag for 4 hours before the hospital recommends changing it. So that is our pattern!!

I wish you the best of luck with everything. I want to know how everything goes with you and your LO. God bless!!
    Last edited by @llli*katholicchik; January 1st, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

I pump 3 times a day, usually at 8am, 4pm, and midnight.
    I usually pump 33-36oz out a day, depending if I work or not (I don't pump well at work, anxiety I think.)

I know many people EP out of necessity, but I do it out of convenience. I do enjoy and love when I do put her up to my breast and looking at my cousins and friends that all have babies about the same age that do BF, I would love to BF directly all the time, but with my work and sleep schedule, I do what I have to do to keep my sanity.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

I pumped 13 months with my daughter and am currently starting month 6 with my son. We are hoping to continue the pumping until 2 years with DS. I generally pump 4 times a day, and get 26-30 oz per day. I would love to get down to 3 times per day but we're not quite there yet.

Missy Moocow, after how long were you able to pump only 3 times a day?
    I am pumping 5 times a day (baby is 6 weeks old). If I try to skip a time, I get overly full and it hurts a bit. I worry that it will decrease my supply if I skip. I am getting about 24-26 oz a day.
    I was breastfeeding and pumping until about 1 week ago. We both were getting so frustrated--she had a lot of difficulty latching and staying on and she'd cry a lot during feeds. Now that Im giving a bottle with EBM, she doesn't cry during feeds anymore. Plus, my husband can feed her too now.

If she was having problems at the breast you could have OALD, which is fixable.

At six weeks you won't be able to reduce pumping by very much and be able to get the same results as now. I was still pumping 8x a day until he was 3 or 4 months old.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    If she was having problems at the breast you could have OALD, which is fixable.

At six weeks you won't be able to reduce pumping by very much and be able to get the same results as now. I was still pumping 8x a day until he was 3 or 4 months old.
    I pumped very, very often (10x a day or so ) in the beginning, every time DS was getting a bottle from DH. I slowed down to 6x a day when I went back to work at 6 weeks and continued that until DS was about 9 or 10 months old and was eating 3 decent meals a day of solids. I only cut down to 3x a day at about 14 months.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine