Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice? 5 months and BF is not going well...

Default Advice? 5 months and BF is not going well...

I have twin girls, about 5 months old. Ella, the second twin, has always nursed with ease. But in the last two weeks she has begun to pinch (hard) with her hands, and she keeps playing a little game by pushing my nipple out of her mouth, then darting forward to suck it back in (over and over). It can be cute, but it’s annoying by the end of the day and when I have two nursing at once it’s downright frustrating and becoming quite painful. I think she is being playful b/c sometimes she stops and looks at me as if she is showing me the new trick. I try to gently pull her hand away or give her my finger to hold (or her sisters hand), and this helps with the pinching. But now she is doing the game with the nipple with just her mouth and neck. She sucks on the nipple and pulls/stretches it out until it pops out, then goes in again for more. It’s not just at the beginning of the feed…it’s all throughout. And she cries and cries if I take her off. If I try to hold her more closely to me she resists hard and eventually cries with frustration. Do I let her just continue with this activity? It sometimes really hurts, and it’s making it impossible to nurse with her sister.
    I really want to keep BF them both, but it's not feasible for me to nurse them seperately. As is they both still want to eat 6 to 7 times per day, and usually once per night. I just don't know how much longer I can really last. It feels like every BF session is more and more frustrating.
    I would welcome any thoughts or advice from you all~!

Default Re: Advice? 5 months and BF is not going well...

First, and congrats on bf twins! it's a real accomplishment, and you should feel wonderful that you've bf your babies for five months!

My DD is 6.5 months and she recently went through a phase of doing the pinching/grabbing thing. It lasted a week or two and she just stopped on her own. Dunno why

I asked my sisters and their kids did it too, so I think it's pretty normal. Is it manageable if you hold her hand? Have you tried a nursing necklace? I know how painful it can be, I had bruises on the tops of my breasts!

As for the pulling off...I don't know. My DD has done this when she's distracted, or letdown is too fast, or too slow.... If you really feel that she's playing, could you pop her off and put her down for a sec? Just to say, "hey, if you want to nurse, you need to NURSE.", yk? This could be another instance where a nursing necklace would be handy. Keep her engaged at the breast.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help. Hopefully some other mamas will chime in with their expertise!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

This is helpful. What is a nursing necklace though?

I wish I could link with my iPod, sorry.

They're basically necklaces that Mom wears while nursing to engage/distract baby at the breast. Some of them have bright beads. Some are more subtle. The idea is if they are playing with the necklace, they aren't faffing about doing other stuff at the breast. The one I bought is from Mommy and Me. You should be able to easily google it. I bring it out only for nursing, so it remains a bit of a novelty. I would suggest buying one from a reputable company rather than making one or just using an existing piece of jewellery, for safety reasons. HTH.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Hi,

I am also breastfeeding twins and my ds has started doing the pull thing with my nipple. My guess is that my let down is too slow, or there isn't enough milk, especially if he does it several times during our bf session. I also notice that he does it sometimes when he gets distracted, ouch!

I know you don't want to breastfeed them separately, trust me I know, but maybe you could for a couple of feedings and see what happens. It would also give you a chance to really focus on her and see if there is anything you can do to prevent the punching and pulling.

Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck and let us know if you find anything that helps!

planninggirl

Unhappy Re: Advice? 5 months and BF is not going well...

I think it's a good suggestion to try feeding them separately, and I did try it a bunch the last two days...but unfortunately, it's just not feasible when they both get screaming hungry at the same time. Believe it or not at 5 months, I think that one gets kind of frustrated when they realize the other is getting milk. When I have a helper around it is easy b/c someone else can distract. So, pp, you must go through this as well w/ twins I'm sure. It's tricky.

I am ALWAYS quick to assume that the problem is me (slow milk or low milk), and this makes me want to jump to suppplement. But about 3 months ago, I just decided to stop making the assumption and just keep feeding them. I think it's psychological, like b/c I don't actually see the milk it seems they are not getting enough. But my girls are HUGE for their age and showing all signs of terrific growth. So I know in my head that they are okay, but yet when nursing tears occur, or strange habits like these new pinching and pulling/pushing the nipple, I'm totally quick to just say, "well time to supplement and give them bottles"...but in my heart I just don't think that's the problem.

I'm so reaching my end. I just don't think I can hang in there with BF b/c I feel so frustrated with them, then I feel guilty. Maybe I will try a week of just one on one BF with the girls, and make sure I have extra help. Then I can work on helping them latch better...? I dunno...I'm also trying to work PT from home and as is I already feel like I get nothing done in a day. I feel like my brain isn't working anymore.