Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still not menstruating...

Default Re: Still not menstruating...

I wouldn't worry. With #1 I got my period back when she was 4 months old and was exclusively bfing.
    With #2 I got it back at around 20 months.
    This last time I had a nasty surprise and it came back at 13 months. I had no PMS like symptoms and had no idea it was coming. Literally had nothing in the house to help deal with it until I sent the hubby to the store. What a day that was!!

Funny how everyone's bodies are totally different. My sisters and I were/are all stay at home moms who nursed exclusively. One got her period when both her babies were 6 weeks old; I didn't get my period until all 3 of my kids were 10 months old, and my other sister never got a period and got pregnant when her oldest was 4 months old! You just never know!
    Last edited by @llli*Rebeccaof8; January 21st, 2009 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sophie.smomma View Post
    This last time I had a nasty surprise and it came back at 13 months. I had no PMS like symptoms and had no idea it was coming. Literally had nothing in the house to help deal with it until I sent the hubby to the store. What a day that was!!
    i am wondering what the deal is with PMS-type symptoms... i've been cramping off and on for a few weeks now and SO moody i can barely tolerate myself! pregnancy tests keep saying negative but i honestly wish my period would come back and get it over with! it will probably happen when i least expect it!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ny2uk2000 View Post
    Is there any science behind the urban legend that it can be easier to get pregnant the second time around? It took us a year and a half to get pregnant the first time and, since we'd like to start trying around DS's second b'day, we were hoping I'd be menstruating soon so we could start the "TTC" clock.
    As the pp's said, I have heard anecdotal experience that it's much easier the 2nd time to get pregnant. I have a girlfriend who had to take progesterone and clomid to get pregnant with her first child. Then she went on to nurse him for 15 months, had just weaned him, and then found out she was pregnant with her 2nd! No medical intervention was necessary to get pregnant with the 2nd one... I am hoping it's easier for me to get pregnant this time. It took us 6 months last time, which (at the time) seemed like an eternity, although I know it's really not that much time. Now that we are TTC baby #2, I want it to happen NOW!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I started taking vitex a week or so ago. I am really hoping for AF to come back,,too, because we'd really like to start working on #2.

I had to take progesterone the first time around, and my doc told me (at the time) that I would need to take it before & at the beginning of every pregnancy. Maybe he was wrong? I have a new doc; I could see about getting my levels tested...

But I thought that BF affected progesterone levels, too - does anyone know anything about this?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

23 months and counting...

I had to have lots of help staying pregnant (intravenous immunoglobulin, Lovenox, Gonal-F, estrogen and progesterone, among other things) so I am thinking that mine won't return til I stop nursing. But my daughter still nurses at night, once. I'm nervous about starting nightweaning in a few months, afraid my supply will drop off altogether!

Ann

I went to see a herbalist who gave me some chaste tree tablets, I'm sure I ovulated about a week later, and had my first period 2 weeks after that, so it worked for me. DS must have been about 16 months at that time. The herbalist said it was safe to take while bf, however I never did any research on this, so I need to put a disclaimer on this suggestion. I got pregnant after 3 periods, it only took 1 period for DS, but no complaints here about timing :-)

Good luck.