Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still not menstruating...

Default Still not menstruating...

I know my DS (19 mos old) still nurses a lot but my LLLI leader had guessed I'd start menstruating once he slept through the night (ie. stopped nursing all night long). That was 9 months ago.... Should I be worried? I'm seeing a new (to me) OB/GYN next week but wanted to get some thoughts from you ladies out there. Anyone else nursing a toddler throughout the day and (or not) menstruating? Thanks...

Default Re: Still not menstruating...

While night nursing does have an effect on delaying the return of menstruation, weaning from night nursing doesn't necessarily mean periods will return. So much depends on the individual woman's body and her child that it's really, really hard to predict. Some women have periods return with young babies even while exclusively nursing, while others don't have a period until their child is completely weaned. It's not at all uncommon to hear of women nursing closer to a couple years with no periods in sight.

For women who are hoping for their periods to return (maybe to have another baby), some strategies include night weaning (as you already have), reducing the total amount of suckling, and making changes to the suckling routine (of course while balancing the needs of the child).

You mentioned that your son "still nurses a lot" and the frequency of suckling plays a big role in whether or not menstruation returns. Maybe his nursing is of an amount that suppresses your hormones enough to hold off the return of your cycles.

Here's a very brief FAQ: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/menses.html
    And a longer one: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBSepOct06p196.html
    Sue
    LLL Leader

Thanks, Sue. I'm sure his "snacking" all day long is the reason! We do try gentle distractions (esp if we can tell he's nursing b/c he's bored). I know he'll change a lot in the next few months naturally so I'm not too concerned about continuting to wean gently by the time he's 2.

Is there any science behind the urban legend that it can be easier to get pregnant the second time around? It took us a year and a half to get pregnant the first time and, since we'd like to start trying around DS's second b'day, we were hoping I'd be menstruating soon so we could start the "TTC" clock.

You're in the exact same position that I am. My son is the same age and I haven't seen the return of AF, and we've been night weaned for several months. My son also only nurses 3-4 times a day at this point too.

I have started taking Vitex (available at GNC) to help boost my progesterone and get AF going again, but you have to take it for several months for it to really start working. It's safe for breastfeeding, and some women actually have a supply boost while taking it.

I might be one of the women that has to wean completely to see AF return and I've accepted that. I'm not pushing my son too hard and although I would love to be pregnant by the time he turns 2. If it's when he's between 2-3 I'm okay with that. I would rather have my own personal pregnancy agenda delayed 6 months then wean him in a hurry over it. It was hard though, I still struggle with this because I'm an older momma and I just had in my mind I need to be pg when he's 2. LOL.

PM if if you have any questions about Vitex. Good luck!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My daughter is 18 months old but still nurses about a dozen times a day and once or twice at night, so I've seen no sign of my cycles returning. I'm hoping they come back by the fall for the same reasons!

From anecdotal experiences, the friends I have that were on hormonal birth control prior to ttc #1 had a much easier time conceiving subsequent pregnancies when they weren't coming off hormonal birth control. I'm hoping it works the same for me the next time around too.

I don't really know of any science behind it being easier to get pregnant the second time around, although I hear that said a lot, too. (One elderly lady told me the first pregnancy "cleans out your pipes.")

It's nice to hear you both saying you want to meet the needs of your current nursling, knowing that their nursing patterns will change over the next few months as they grow. I've been through the same thing, trying to conceive a new baby while wanting to make sure my current child got what she needed in the meantime. It's definitely a balancing act.
    Sue
    LLL Leader

I conceived my daughter without getting my period back just before my son turned 2. He was still nursing all day and all night. It had taken me years and subsequently many ivf cycles to conceive him but baby 3 (I had a daughter 8 years prior) came without any effort. Everyone's bodies are so different.

Good Luck to you!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader

May I ask how you knew you were pregnant if you didn't have your period? (what prompted you to get tested?)

Just felt bad. I called my infertility nurse who suggested a preg test just to rule it out. It was crazy!! I had been told I could no longer have children. Little did they know...
    Alene
    LLL Leader

I never got my period back between pregnancies either, and my older nursling was almost 2 when that happened. I just hope it goes the same way with this child- imagine, that would be 6+ years with no periods! Female cancers won't stand a chance! Woohoo!

ETA: I had severe pain when nursing, that was my indicator that I might be pregnant.
    Last edited by @llli*missmari; January 4th, 2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added info
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08