Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hardly gaining any weight if at all!! help!

Default Re: hardly gaining any weight if at all!! help!

could just be a bad scale at the doctors office.

Have you thought about giving the suppliments in something else besides the bottle so baby meets all sucking needs at the breast?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

Oh yes aboutr the oald. I mean to say she pulls off after my milk is done letting done. She used to not be able to handle it and now she doesn't want to eat unless milk is flowing at a fast rate.

Hello. My now 9 month old has never been a big weight-gainer even though he was 9#14 oz. when he was born!!! I had a lot of trouble with supply issues in the beginning b/c my baby slept through the night so young. What saved my supply was finally buying the Medela double pump and I added 2 pumpings to my day for a few days: once before I went to bed and once in the middle of the night somewhere between 2am-5am. (this was advice from a lactation consultant). I was at about 3 months postpartum at this point. I only had to do the 2-5am pumping for a few days, up to a week, before I noticed a difference. Then I stopped the middle of the night pumping and just continued with the one right before bed. My baby slept so well from the beginning that he always fed less times per day than what the books tell you they should be doing, so adding a pumping really helped. He's still not that big of a weight-gainer but all babies are different and when Drs. are looking at the charts for weight gain that is an average of all babies including formula-fed ones, which gain at a faster rate. One Dr. told me that gaining length is more important than weight from month to month.

Hope this helps!

Thank you dreaminofhorses that does help a lot. I'm thinking I will try the pumping before bed and in the middle of the night. Thanks.

I will also talk to the dr tomorrow about using something besides a bottle. I can tell the bottle is making the whole situation worse.

This is just another thought but is a baby sucking on their hands all the time a sign of hunger or teething? My daughter has been doing this since she was three months. The dr said she ws teething. I just read though it can be a sign of hunger?!? She sucks on her hands all day long and acts as though she is in pain or upset? Thank you all so much!!!

DD has had her hands in her mouth since she was two or three months old. Totally normal. They're kind of like puppies that way. Very oral.

I wanted to mention that Blessed Thistle can help with letdown. Just in case you wanted to try an herbal. Fenugreek is great for supply, and they also work well together.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thank you so much for everyones advice and support. Just took my daughter to the new pediatrician and she weighed 15lbs!!!!! Yay!!! The pedi said all is well and I can just feed on demand and relax. He prescribed me reglan though just in case since I will be taking away the formula..Thank God! He thinks it was just a growth spurt and not such a big deal she didn't gain for a month. I can't believe they had me so worried I was going to quit breastfeeding all together..agh!

I'm so glad you found a doctor that was supportive of you guys!
    Thats wonderful....

Hi, there!

I'm so happy things are going better for you both... it sounds like you all had a rough time, too. Congrats for continuing to see your ped & lactation consultant & also to listen to your mommy instincts throughout the ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*humanpacifier View Post
    I have not posted on here often but when I did a few months ago it was due to OALD and reflux. I have seemed to resolve these issues. I thought everything was hunky dorey till my daughters 4 month check up apt. A month prior she weighed 14.5 but at this apt. She weighed 14.3. Up until then my daughter had been gaining weight like crazy. The pediatrician acted like I had been mistreating my own baby and made a big poduction of me needing to get her weight up.
    What steps did you take to help your OALD?

I'm sorry the ped reacted this way. It is a big red flag that something's not going well with breastfeeding if baby hasn't gained any weight in a month's time. Any kind of weight gain problems should also include breastfeeding management, not just a prescription to formula feed...

I called the pediatrician back asking what to do and she said formula feed exclusively then...GASP! I realized we weren't on the same page and went to a lactation consultant.
    Knowledge can be so powerful! Again, hooray for listening to your inner voice, asking questions and getting more than one professional opinion.

... but I should also mention my milk let down twice and that hardly ever happens. My milk letdown takes forever to happen and I'm lucky if it happens twice. In the middle of the night it never happens. If I try very hard at night it has taken up to an hour before. (I do realize some women don't feel their letdown but I have always felt mine. It used to hurt actually.)
    Sometimes, using a warm/wet washcloth along with some gentle massage on the breast before nursing can help a mother's let down and keep baby from getting too fussy.

The lactation consultant ... said that was enough and I should give her solids to have her gain weight.
    Generally, most babies do take in about 2.5 ounces or so per feeding.

Sometimes, though, there are some peds out there (Dr. Jack Newman, for one) who, with a failure to thrive 4.5 month old baby prescribes solids high in fat as a supplement along with breastfeeding managment... Failure to thrive is different from slow to gain. A few days on very small amounts of solids is different from months and months of formula supplementation without breastfeeding management. Does this make sense??

So I started nursing every two hours and sometimes every hour. At night I tried to wake my daughter but my milk would not let down. So at night I began giving her a bottle. She started taking it so I began giving her 4 bottles of 4 ounces a day after BF. I've gradually lowered it to 2 bottles of 3 or 4 ounces because the bottles have caused an angry nurser.
    Generally, many moms find that a cup, spoon or other type supplemental feeder can help in these type situations by feeding baby but not bringing the possibility of nipple/bottle preference with a baby.

I'm taking a lactate vitamin and empty after I feed. Its been a month now and my supply doesn't seem to have gone up.
    Do you know if possibly the vitamin you are/were taking might've made baby a little fussy?

Wet diapers are very close to 5 if that many. Dirty diapers are once weekly.
    The number of wet/poopie diapers are very important in these situations since it's an "easy" way to see if any breastmilk is going "in" baby... input = output

Take it one day at a time and continue to do all the positive things you're doing. Many moms in similar situations have been able to continue breastfeeding with just a few changes. Keep seeing experienced lactation consultants and getting support from other moms through this forum and your local LLL group.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Hi Humanpacifier. Have you been able to try the pumping in the middle of the night? Just wondering how that's going for you. I wanted to mention that we had to supplement some with formula back when Josiah was 3 mos. old (he's 9 mos. now) and it really bothered his tummy and made him colicky. Have you noticed that her tummy issues are worse with formula? Once I added the 2 more pumpings a day for a little while I was able to supplement him with the pumped bm and didn't have to use formula anymore. I hope that your new pediatrician will be more supportive!