Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardly gaining any weight if at all!! help!

Default hardly gaining any weight if at all!! help!

I have not posted on here often but when I did a few months ago it was due to OALD and reflux. I have seemed to resolve these issues. I thought everything was hunky dorey till my daughters 4 month check up apt. A month prior she weighed 14.5 but at this apt. She weighed 14.3. Up until then my daughter had been gaining weight like crazy. The pediatrician acted like I had been mistreating my own baby and made a big poduction of me needing to get her weight up. I was supposed to supplement with formula or solids but when I got home little miss did not want any part of a bottle.

I called the pediatrician back asking what to do and she said formula feed exclusively then...GASP! I realized we weren't on the same page and went to a lactation consultant. After feeding her, my daughter showed she was getting only 2.4 ounces but I should also mention my milk let down twice and that hardly ever happens. My milk letdown takes forever to happen and I'm lucky if it happens twice. In the middle of the night it never happens. If I try very hard at night it has taken up to an hour before. (I do realize some women don't feel their letdown but I have always felt mine. It used to hurt actually.)

The lactation consultant told me to come back in to pump. I did and with my milk letting down twice was only two ounces. This lady said that was enough and I should give her solids to have her gain weight. I tried solids once and decided I wasn't again because I didn't think that was the answer.

So I started nursing every two hours and sometimes every hour. At night I tried to wake my daughter but my milk would not let down. So at night I began giving her a bottle. She started taking it so I began giving her 4 bottles of 4 ounces a day after BF. I've gradually lowered it to 2 bottles of 3 or 4 ounces because the bottles have caused an angry nurser. I'm taking a lactate vitamin and empty after I feed. Its been a month now and my supply doesn't seem to have gone up.

I've got an apt tomorrow with the pedi to talk about reglan and check her weight. I feel so lost on what to do and really questioning the advice I've been given. Any thoughts or advice? I really need it because I'm close to giving up.

Wet diapers are very close to 5 if that many. Dirty diapers are once weekly. I can't say if she is fussy because she is hungry because she has been a high needs baby from day one. They have said she has colic and reflux. She has been on reflux medecine but I took her off it after a month and she now seems fine.

Default Re: hardly gaining any weight if at all!! help!

Hi mama!

I don't know what to say about your doc. They seem to be so quick to supplement nowadays. Are you comfortable with ehr in general? Have you thought about finding another doc that is more supportive of your BF relationship and finding ways to help without resorting to supplements first?

Is the LC that you saw IBCLC? I am surprised that she would tell you to supplement with solids! Could you make an appt with another LC or see a local LLL leader?

So when you nursed and got only 2.5 oz that was after a before and after weight? Cause remember, what you pump isn't necessarily indicative of how much supply you have. How long did you feed at the LC? Was it a typical session? Even with weighing her at that feeding, maybe another feeding at another time she would have taken in more.

As far as letdown, mine always varied. In the beginning especially I always felt it, then after a while I only sometimes felt it. I think for some people it just changes, doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't having one...or two or three!

Maybe she just recently went through a growth spurt and used up a bunch of calories and now is ready to get back to gaining. It is hard to tell with babies because they grow in spurts.

Good luck mama. I hope you get some answers soon.
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; January 1st, 2009 at 04:49 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

have you found a pattern in her colic and reflux?
    do you have allergies in your family?
    Some babies just have slow weight gain.

this link might help
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

how much taller was your LO? sometimes all the food you get in them goes to height.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I haven't found a pattern in the colic or reflux. The more I learn I'm thinking she is just a high needs baby. And I shouldn't say just like its no big deal because its been life changing!!
    I have no allergies or anyone in the family I know of but my mom did say when I was a baby I acted the exact same way. They told my mom I was allergic to her breastmilk and put me on formula. I was much better my mom said.

She did lengthen a lot. Both her height and head circumfrence grew and are normal.

do you drink alot of cows milk?
    or soy?
    sometimes babies with allergies have trouble, then once you take the cows milk or soy out they do beter...
    what are babies poops like?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083301.asp

I just moved so the pedi I am going to see tomorrow is new and depending on how it goes I was going to try and find a lll leader. Yes it was a before and aftewr weight check. I really don't time her feeding but paobaly should. She either falls asleep or pulls off right after the let down. She won't keep nursing but will just a little longer with breast compressions.
    I guess I should say I'm almost positve I wasn't letting down anymore because of her acting like she's down the second after the letdown occurs.

I just realized today that since I've cut back on formula her wet diapers are low. Since thi morning I've changed a real wet one and just changed one other since then that really wasn't full. That just seems too little wet diapers to me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*humanpacifier View Post
    pulls off right after the let down.
    Has anyone mentioned OALD? The pulling off right after letdown could have something to do with it...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

The only time I have cows milk is for cereal in the morning if I even have that. I have heard of this so try and limit dairy the best I can. I would have a lot more if I wasn't trying to eliminate all culprits.