Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bfing with the Flu

Unhappy Bfing with the Flu

Yep....yuck. Got it from my hubby. I heard my baby get's the antibodies my body creates....True? I'm a SAHM so I can't avoid holding, playing, feeding, everything with her! (Nor do I want to, she's so amazing!) Think she'll catch it? Hoping not, I feel so ickie!!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Default Re: Bfing with the Flu

Yes, keep BFing. But make sure you are getting enough fluids - you don't want to get dehydrated. Can you keep anything down? Usually room temp liquids stay down better than cold, at least for me they do! Make sure to wash your hands a lot, wipe down surfaces you touch and when you feel better clean the bathroom - or make DH do it since he got you into this mess! I hope you feel better soon, having the stomach flu is sucky enough as it is without trying to keep a LO occupied and fed!

Yes I can keep everything down. I'm really congested, achy, etc... You know, the leaky-faucet-feel-like-you-'ve-been-hit-by-a-truck-stuff I'm disinfecting everything... but hubby is still sick too He' helping a lot though. I just don't want her to get this....

Expecting #2 early April

So blessed..

I've had the flu twice (knocked me on my ass) and hubby has had it 4 times since ds2 was born. All ds2 had was a stuffy nose twice and a dry cough once. Keep bf-ing as it is the best defense for your lo.

ETA: true about the antibodies!! The minute your body comes in contact with the virus you start producing antibodies for that virus. You immediately pass those antibodies on to your lo through your milk. Even if your lo catches the bug from your hubby, you will probably pass her the antibodies early enough for her to only have a few symptoms, or avoid the flu altogether
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; January 1st, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I'm so sorry mamma! Dh, dd1 and I had it sooo bad over Christmas and Christmas Eve. DD2 who is breastfed, didn't get it at all. Pretty cool huh? HOpe you get to feeling better soon!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    I'm so sorry mamma! Dh, dd1 and I had it sooo bad over Christmas and Christmas Eve. DD2 who is breastfed, didn't get it at all. Pretty cool huh? HOpe you get to feeling better soon!
    Wish I could say that!! My LO caught it from us..we had it just before NY's.. but it seems to have been less violent than it was for DH & I. Breastfeeding has been her saving grace ...

Her milkies help to hydrate & make her feel better too

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

good thread and just the info I was looking for! BUT I have to work today in order to get paid for yesterday, the new year's holiday, but I can barely sit up and my joints ache--I can do computer work all day, but even my wrists are too sore to type.

Is there a safe pain killer to take when having the vomit/diarrheah [usually at same time]... my milk supply has dropped significantly in the past 2 days [mostly because I can't BF while bent over the toilet, so DH has dipped into the freezer stash and bottle fed DS when I'm incapacitated]. I'm also concerned about concentrating the drug in my decreased supply.

any ideas?
    BFing, Puming, Stockpiling, CDing and babywearing WOHM to Thom and wife to Wes

Hmm I'm not sure mama... (pp) I haven't taken anything, b/c I don't know what is or isn't safe. I hear Tylenol is safe, but I would call the pedi b4 taking anything.

I hope you feel better soon!! Ugh. I still have mine, I feel like I need to sleep a week straight to get better!!

Expecting #2 early April

So blessed..

Ugh, sorry you're sick! YES keeping feeding your lo! Your breastmilk actually starts creating antibodies before you even realize you're sick. So continuing to nurse is the best thing to keep your babe from becoming sick/reducing seriousness of the sickness.

And many medications are compatible with breastfeeding, so call a local LLL leader or your Dr. to find out what meds are ok for you!

Hope everyone is well soon!!!
    Renee
    LLL Leader