Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an anxious new mom

Default an anxious new mom

Hi all,

We've only been home a couple days, and I'm just kind of nervous about how things are going so far. My son is 4 days old, and I'm worried that he isn't getting enough to eat.

He's had two stools since getting home from the hospital - both still pretty black, with a little green. He's had about 3 wet diapers each day.

I was worried at first that my milk wasn't coming in quickly enough (he was up every 1-2 hours that first night and last night), but it definitely has today. The problem now is that he doesn't really seem that interested. He seems to be doing more "sucking" than "suckling".

He was a little underweight when the nurse came yesterday morning to check on him - born 8 lbs 9 oz, 8 lbs even at discharge, and 7 lbs 11 oz yesterday morning.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: an anxious new mom

The first few days (weeks, even) at home with your new baby can be so intimidating!

I'm going to give you some links for information that may help reassure you or tell you what to expect in these early days:
    Color of the Day - info on poop
    What to Expect in the Early Weeks

I personally would be a little concerned about the lack of poops/wet diapers. We're looking for about 5-6 wets each day and 3-10 poops once your milk is in. If you think your milk came in today, I would be on the lookout for the poops to start turning to more of a mustard color and to increase in frequency.

I would probably give your pediatrician a call, just to be safe.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Hey mama! Congrats! I am a new mom too. That happened to my baby too, and was totally normal. She lost weight, and had jaundice.... I was SO worried when I got home from the hospital b/c my milk wasn't in yet. Hubby bought me a sweet pump and it started to flow. She didn't have hardly any poops either. I don't think babies do the first few days. Just the black sticky meconium...which we clapped and were all excited about when it came out! Ha. Don't worry too much, you and your baby will get the hang of it. It takes some time, and patience that's forsure!

How many wet diapers a day? I think I remember the first few days were different. I mean, it was one more wet one each day for a few days. As she grew, she had more. You know?

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

scales can have diffent weights!
    aim for 10-12 feedings in 24 hours.
    You'll both get the hang of things.
    Have you talked to your local leader?
    Shes around to help

How old is your lo?
    What type of delivery did you have?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

We had a natural VB, but the doctor had to use a little suction to get him out. He's 4 days old, and we just had a huge, green, runny stool. Hurray for poop!
    He continues to fall asleep often while feeding, so that's a challenge. My milk has come in, but I cannot feel the "let down" when he's feeding. ???

Don't worry about not feeling your let-down. Some Mamas do, some don't. I didn't at first, then I really felt it for a few months, now, not so much again. It's not an indicator of your lo getting milk.

You should be able to see if baby is just sucking or drinking at the breast. Can you hear swallows? Is there a pause with the chin farther down every few sucks? If so, your lo is getting milk.

There's so many things happening in those first few days! Just try to relax and enjoy your lo! We're here for questions and support, but it sounds like things are going fine.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Congrats on the birth of your little one! I know the first weeks can be hard, especially if its your first baby, there's so many things to learn. I'm guessing now that your milk has come in, things will turn around. Keep an eye on the diaper count, that's the main thing, and always feed on demand. About 10-12 feedings per day is normal although many babies will feed more often than this. Don't worry about feeling your milk let-down, not every mother feels it. You will know your milk is letting down when baby's sucking changes.

Some babies are sleepy for the first 2 weeks and then they perk up. There are many ways to get a sleepy baby to nurse more effectively. As this is a concern for you, I would suggest you get some good hands on help from a lactation consultant or local LLL leader. The first thing is to make sure you have a good latch and are using breast compressions so baby gets more milk. You can wake him up by rubbing or patting his back, changing his diaper, gently rubbing his hands and feet, wiping his forehead with a cool, damp cloth, or by sitting him up on your lap. If he loses interest during a feeding, you can use breast compressions to keep the milk flowing. You can also massage his head in a circular motion while he nurses. You can switch sides if he is no longer sucking well.

One trick that my lactation consultant taught me, and that I have yet to read anywhere else...My LC is Scottish. She taught me to pretend I was playing the 'bagpipe'. Gently of course. When baby's sucking slowed, I was to bring my elbow towards my body and gently give baby a squeeze...it worked! I think this was when he was in the football position, its been so long. Anyway, whenever I did this, DS would start sucking again.

Here's some good links. At the bottom of the first link, there is a video showing 'really good drinking'.

http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Is%...ugh%20Milk.asp

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...-concerns.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 1st, 2009 at 02:19 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Did they give you fluids while you were in labor? I've heard that babies drop more weight after birth if the mother is given fluids in labor. That happened with me. DS dropped 11% of his body weight and they had me supplementing with formula till my milk came in, which, in retrospect, I think was unnecessary.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Baby had 2 stools last night, and he's more alert during feedings.
    I was given fluids after delivery, so maybe that had something to do with his weight loss. We go to the Dr. for a check-up tomorrow, so we'll see how things go.
    I'm feeling much more encouraged thanks to your input!