Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domperidone Side Effects...Irritability and Weepiness?

Default Domperidone Side Effects...Irritability and Weepiness?

Hi ladies. I just started taking Dom and so far it seems like it is going to work well for me. But I was wondering, has anyone else that has taken it ever had extreme irritability or just plain weepiness on it?

It very well could be some things that are going on in my life right now, but yesterday I was like a loose cannon, then I went home and cried all night long. Like really cried. Heaving sobs and all that jazz. I am not usually like that.

So either I am PG ( and I really really doubt it) or who knows what the heck is going on.

Thanks for your help ladies!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: Domperidone Side Effects...Irritability and Weepiness?

I don't have any experience with it, but could it be the hormonal shift from your body making more milk?

And for your bad day.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Oh mama... I know this isn't really helpful but .
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Hmm, I have no experience but it would make sense that the hormones needed to increase milk would make you like that, were you feeling that way when you first started lactating?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Hmm, I have no experience but it would make sense that the hormones needed to increase milk would make you like that, were you feeling that way when you first started lactating?
    I don't remember...I am sure I was pretty weepy but probably not the best gauge because we were all still in the hospital.

This is what I found about it...I am no scientist so I am not sure what it all means, I just know I am making more milk! (where's Carolin with her TJ medical degree? )

Domperidone is a drug that has, as a side effect, the increasing of milk production, probably by increasing prolactin production by the pituitary gland. Prolactin is the hormone that stimulates the cells in the mother's breast to produce milk. Domperidone increases prolactin secretion indirectly, by interfering with the action of dopamine, whose action is to decrease the secretion of prolactin by the pituitary gland.
    Could the suppressed dopamine or elevated prolactin cause that?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I am by no means a medical expert, but from the little I do know about pharmacology it makes sense that what you are experiencing is a side effect of the drug. Domperidone is a dopamine antagonist which means it blocks the dopamine receptors in your brain. Dopamine is one of your "feel good" neurotransmitters. It's associated with the "reward center" part of your brain. So if there is less dopamine, you're bound to feel a little blue. Maybe you could have your dose lowered by your Dr. ?

Feel better mama!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jezebel View Post
    I am by no means a medical expert, but from the little I do know about pharmacology it makes sense that what you are experiencing is a side effect of the drug. Domperidone is a dopamine antagonist which means it blocks the dopamine receptors in your brain. Dopamine is one of your "feel good" neurotransmitters. It's associated with the "reward center" part of your brain. So if there is less dopamine, you're bound to feel a little blue. Maybe you could have your dose lowered by your Dr. ?

Feel better mama!
    Thanks...that makes total sense.

I actually am not even taking the full dose of 3 3x a day. I am only taking 1 3x a day and was having results with it so I wanted to keep the dosage as low as I could. hmmmm.

Maybe I will just have to choose my words wisely (irritability) and keep a bunch of tissue around (weepiness) while I am on it!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Hey mama... I was wondering what you decided about taking dom... Glad to hear you are getting results with such a low dose! That's great... How much has your pumping output increased? I'm still working on weaning down my dosage.

I'm trying to remember back to when I first started taking dom, and I don't recall being especially irritable or weepy... Although I suspect the dom can affect different mamas different ways, so as the pp's suggested, it is likely a side effect of the dom that you are experiencing... I would think as your body gets adjusted to the dom, you will start to feel better?

HTH

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Hi Buff! thanks so much for all the answers to my ?'s!

I started taking it about a week/10 days ago. At first I was taking 1 2x a day and could actually feel my breasts making more milk...just like in the beginning. But it wasn't a lot so I added the extra pill.

Before I was down to making about 10oz a day...now I am pumping about 12 oz by the time I leave work! And that is still with two more pumping sessions to go.

Now I am able to leave him 5oz for his first bottle during the day, then he drinks about 5oz of cow's milk in the afternoon, then he takes 8-9 BM before bed, and a couple oz overnight for his dream feeds.

I feel so much better! I was so upset about the lack of milk, but it is getting better! Although now I can't stop crying!

Hopefully I will get used to it over the next couple days and I can ditch the kleenex!

Thanks again!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I was taking domperidone for a long time and didn't have any of the side effects you are experiencing. From my understanding.... domperidone doesn't have the same risk of causing depressive systems as reglan. I guess that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, it just isn't as likely as with other galactagogues. Sorry, that probably isn't much help.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.