Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A New Years ear infection

Default A New Years ear infection

My 8 week old stinker pants has an ear infection. He's been on antibiotics for 24 hrs. But now he has diarrhea. Is that common when they go on antibiotics? I figured it was from the meds, maybe all the post nasal drip? Has anyone elses LO had an ear infection this early?
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Default Re: A New Years ear infection

Poor LO. I'm sure the antibiotics are causing diarreah. Antibiotics kill ALL bacteria, good and bad. Killing off the good bacteria can cause issues in the bowels. Make sure to supplement you and you baby with probiotics(acidopholis, etc) I'm one of those that is strongly against antibiotic use ecspecially for ear infections.(I had tons of ear infections and antibiotics as a child and have health problems b/c of it) 8 weeks seems so young for meds. To me, it should be a wait and see. If the infection doesn't clear w/in a few days to a weeks then reevaluate the situation. The biggest issue with ear infections is you want you child out of pain. What I use for my kids works like a charm and I have never had to put them on meds for ear infections. What you do is crush a clove of garlic put it in a pan with a small amount of olive oil. Slowly heat the oil until warm but not simmering. Take a dropper and suck the oil up(no garlic in it) and drop a few drops in LO ear. I usually pull a little on the earlobe to help it go in. The warm oil is soothing and the garlic has the power to fight infection. You can do this a few times a day.

This is totally safe and even if you want to use meds in addition to this it helps b/c it takes the pain away within an hour or so. I've done this on myself and so has my husband when we had infections too and it really works wonders. I just used it on my 8 month old yesterday.

Maybe try to make sure your LO isnt lying completely horizontal when nursing also. Good luck
    Last edited by @llli*kbeever814; January 1st, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

poor baby...
    don't be afriad to call your doctor about the loose stools.
    That could be bad in a baby that young!

to both of you.

I am assuming you have a broad spectrum antibiotic (amoxicillin etc...) they are known for causing a wide range of GI problems. diarrhea is the most common. we got colic like symptoms. yeast infections are also common - be glad you don't have a girl - vaginal thrush in an 8wo would be awful.

my pedi normally takes a wait and see approach to ear infections but asthma symptoms get much worse with ear infections so we couldn't do that.

Ear infections are always secondary to something - sounds like snot build up in this case. remember that while your LO hates the saline drops and snot sucker it does help. I have a hard time listening to LO scream and holding him down when he is thrashing so I am not as good as I should be about it.

diarrhea is horrid and can do damage to their little bottoms. make sure you change him more often and try wiping with water and a wash cloth rather than baby wipes. It is much better for their skin (even than the alcohol free ones).

Since your LO is sick he is probably nursing more, which will help prevent dehydration. The stuffiness might be causing issues though - if it is, try nose drops just before he eats and feeding in a more upright position. Snacking is also common because their tummies fill up on snot (I know, gross but true) so they can't fit as much milk in. If this is the case you might want to pump after feeding too keep your supply up and build a stash. It is also sometimes easier for them to eat from a bottle than the bbob when they are stuffy.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

with kbeever...that is sooo young for antibiotics. We treated 6 of DS ear infections with garlic mullein drops(basically same as described above) and we never had any long-term problems.

I too was give waaaaaaay too many antibiotics for ear infections as a child. As a result, there are 3 different abx that I am now immune to. I had to take the drug they give people when they get anthrax just to knock out a bladder infection

Mama, be careful about abx use in a baby so young and discuss with your doctor alternative approaches or a 'wait and see' approach.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

on the too many antibiotics given out but remember once you have started antibiotics you have to finish the course. otherwise you are breeding resistancy into the bug.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thank you soooo much for all the good advice. I'll remember the garlic drops next time. Being a new mom, I have such anxiety about many things. One being the minute I heard how congested he was I flew to the doc. I'm sure many of you mamas can relate. I'm glad to have this board and some experienced mamas to offer some reassurance and good advice.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08