Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need help ASAP-please...

Default I need help ASAP-please...

I have just started to emergency wean my 15 month old- I have to take a series of very toxic breast-feeding contraindicated medications...I have no option but to wean him as it may be months before the stuff is out of my system...can anyone help with suggestions? He went down for his first night w/o breastfeeding- did suprisingly ok..I on the other hand am a wreck! I am very sad to say the least...I wish I had another option...I am engorged despite the small expressing/pumping...how much should I express and how long will this last? Any help is appreciated...Thanks!

Default Re: I need help ASAP-please...

how long do you have to wean? sounds like you quit cold turkey.
    thats not good! You might want to talk to a leader about the meds. depending on what they are they might be ok. Dr hale has a web site to look things up on. lots of doctors don't have current info on drugs.
    http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest

How many times a day was the baby nursing?

Thanks for responding- the meds are chemo meds...a for sure no breastfeeding situation...My little guy was just nursing AM and PM and an occasional mid-day...unfortunately I had no choice but to go the cold turkey route...Thanks

I am so sorry!! This sounds like such a terrible situation. How is your LO handling the weaning? Maybe since you were down to just a few nursings a day it will be a faster adjustment. As far as the pumping, I think that you just want to pump enough to feel comfortable, always leaving some milk in the breast. You don't want to let yourself become engorged because that could lead to mastitis. You definitely don't need that on top of your chemo treatments! As long as you are only pumping to comfort and not emptying the breast, your supply should slowly decrease. Let us know how you are doing.

OH WOW, no advice, but (((HUGE HUGS))) I am so sorry, and wish you the best!

Hi, how are things today? Hope all is going well. I must say, things sound hard for you at this time and with you trying to make sense of it all, plus the physical illness and all the emotions and thoughts too. Good on you for breastfeeding your baby for so long, you have done a wonderful thing. Weaning this way not ideal but do be encouraged ok?

About actual weaning style, I'm not sure because I didn't wean my kids. But I did limit nursing and what worked for me was substituting the breastfeeding and giving a cup of warm milk instead of the breast at times when my son wanted to nurse.

My son was about 14-16 months old at the time and I saw his nursing was also for emotional comfort and just to be close to me. So because it was a very real need, while I gave him the milk through a straw, we used to cuddle and sleep together and I tried to meet that need in other ways. We spent more 'mothering time'.

I also got into a routine of giving him a cup of milk in the early morning and then later before bed. This was just to comfort him and help him settle. This also replaced breastfeeding (those times he usually breastfed) but I tried to make it as soothing as I could.

I realise it is a tremendous change for the both of you, and it's hard when we're close to our babies. I never want my kids to cry or feel sad about not getting the breast.

About your sad feelings, when my older son weaned, I cried and it still brings tears when I think about those days. Wish I could have given more. YEt I read somewhere, when you are sick and the meds mean that you have to wean, choosing to save yourself is the best thing you can do for your baby. I write a lot and I wrote about my weaning story, the circumstances and it was in the Asia LLL publication. But before I sent it, it was carthartic. Would this help you to get a sense of closure and also explore your thoughts?

I hope this reply sits well with you, and I hope you are able to get more help with your questions. And that you are getting lots of in-person help with the housework, meals, babycare and all. Do take care, blue skies, Anita

Thanks to you all for your advice...i really appreciate it!

Have you tried sage tea or lots of Peppermint Altoids? Supposedly they help reduce lactation a little. Tea's nice for calming down too, and as breastfeeding stops or slows, we need to re-find those other ways of chiling out. Your son may benefit from a special teddy or blanket or something.. does he already have something like that? I got my dd to cut back by offering warm vanilla soy milk. She liked cow's milk too, but would actually willingly take the soy milk as a welcomed substitute. I often added blackstrap molassis for added sweetness and iron.

Finally, while he'll probably want extra hugs and attention from mom, it will be good for you two to take some breaks too.. sounds like you will need the rest anyway. Go get a massage; I'm sure you're feeling tense, tight, overfilled and missing that extra contact that was so easy and natural. So I hope you have some help with extra child care (dad, grandma, etc), maybe someone who can keep him busy but comforted.

Great job nursing for 15 months!!! You've exceeded AAP recommendations and western averages and have given him a very healthy start.

Julie