Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help. No wet diapers today.

Default Help. No wet diapers today.

My LO has had a head cold and she gave it to me so I wonder if my supply has taken a dip. She only had 4 wet diapers yesterday plus one really small one last night (11 pm) that I won't really count as one. She hasn't had a wet diaper at all today. Usually she has a big one when she wakes up. But not today. I don't understand why b/c I know she got milk last night. I had an engorged breast and she emptied it out. She has been in a fine mood and not fussy and has good energy. Her schedule has changed a little since she's been sick. She won't go to bed until 11 pm and today she woke up at 11:30 am. I tried offering her some milk in a sippy cup but she wouldn't drink it. I'm so worried. Has anyone else experienced this?

Default Re: Help. No wet diapers today.

How old is your LO?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

She'll be 8 months on 1/2. She did finally have one wet diaper.

Was the urine any darker than usual?

I would probably call the ped. if she doesn't start peeing "as usual" by the morning.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

No it's the same color. I tried to call the ped today. They weren't there. They probably won't get back until the 2nd.

How long has it been since your baby has wet?
    If it has been more than 6 hours your baby needs medical attention asap.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I wouldn't worry. Call a night nurse and go through the questions if it will make you feel better. But if here urine is normal she may have just held it. The 1st thing you see in a child that is showing signs of dehyrdration is much darker urine. It turns a color that almost has pink in it and you may see some crystals in it.....this sometimes will happen to a child who is sick or can't keep anything down. But even then IME they won't ask you to bring a child in for IV fluids if your child is being breastfed. Breastfed children are generally staying hydrated MUCH better than formula fed kids because even when they are experiencing sickness, they usually continue to nurse for comfort. So even a child that is in danger of dehydration due to continuous vomiting is still getting continuous hydration if they are feeding.
    Are her lips dry or chapped? Is there moisture in her mouth? Just continue to feed on demand. Call the night nurse if it will quell your fears but I think you are probably fine.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks DJ's mom,
    Her lips aren't chapped and there is moisture in her mouth. I can tell she's not dehydrated at all and you've helped to reinforce that. She ended up having only two wet diapers today. My DH thinks she had another one but I wasn't convinced. The diaper looked clumpy, but I didn't see any sign of wetness. I thought maybe the clumpiness was from sweat. If that was a wet diaper, then she did wake up with a wet diaper, but I'm reluctant to count a diaper as wet if there's any question about it. I am going to try not to stress out about it.

Are you using disposable diapers or cloth diapers? It’s very hard to tell if a disposable is indeed wet. They are constructed to stay dry. If you are using disposables, what about putting a piece of cloth in the diaper and then you will know when she wets it? Even stripping up an old shirt would work
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet