Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dairy Allergy?

Question Dairy Allergy?

I have a quick question for you ladies!

My DD is 6 weeks old now and was diagnosed w/reflux and put on Prevacid. She coughs and gags and spits upwhen I give it to her. Well, it occurred to me after reading info on Dairy Allergies and how babies show the symptoms that that may actually be what she has. I forgot to give her her medicine one night and she has done really well w/o it, and she has only been spitting up when I eat anything w/dairy.

I guess I have 2 questions--
    1--what all do I need to cut out to get rid of Dairy in my diet?
    2--Should I go back to giving her the medicine?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

Default Re: Dairy Allergy?

This is actually how I became vegan three years ago! I was trying to figure out if my child was having an allergic reaction to dairy so that was the first thing I cut out. I've read that once you cut out dairy, it can take up to 6 weeks for it to be out of your system. So don't start judging until after 6 weeks. This you will have to be patient with. I suggest doing it all at once. Stop eating/drinking any product that contains milk or milk products. You have to be careful as there are many milk derivitives in products so you will have to be a label reader. Here is a link which discusses some of the hidden dairy products in food.

http://www.godairyfree.org/index.php...=218&Itemid=31

Good luck.

-Lauren

many babies with reflux also have milk/soy protein intolerance. so you proabbly have both problems, the dairy/soy intolerance only aggrivates the reflux.
    what form of prevacid are you using?
    cut out all dairy and soy also.....
    Last edited by nataliachick7; August 20th, 2006 at 01:38 PM.

Let me give some additional info about my original post.

My little girls has started having green poops again, but I am still doing block feedings due to over-supply and how often she nurses, sometimes 3-4 times in a 3 hour period. Also--she is gaining weight really well. 2 weeks ago, at 4 weeks old, she had gained 2 pounds and 2 oz and was weighing in at 9-2. She has gained so much weight, she is wearing some 3-6 months clothes already. I was thinking she may have a dairy allergy because she was a bit spitty the other day--but here's the catch, she doesn't appear to be in pain, she isn't having projectile vomit anymore, she spits a little bit after each feed and ends up w/the hiccups. But--it's not forceful at all, she doens't work at it, and it's maybe a teaspoon at a time, if that.

Also, I had contributed a what appeared to be a rash to dairy sensitivity, but the only that that makes it worse is heat.

Can someone please help me make more sense of all of this? Are all of these symptoms related? Are they completely unrelated? I'm so very confused at this point.

Thanks again!!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed

an allergy is much different than intolerance.
    with an allergy there will most likely be blood in the stool along with rashes, fussiness and crying.
    an intolerance will most likely have mucous in the stools, fussiness, crying, gas.
    also, both an allergy and intolerance will aggrivate reflux.

What should I do? I haven't seen any mucous in the stools--she doesn't have gas or fussiness. she only cries if she is hungry and i can't feed her immediately, ie, driving down the road, in the shower, or on the potty, etc. Does this sound like either allergy or intolerance?
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed

explain again what the problem is? the coughing, gagging and choking? those are all signs that the reflux is not under control if that is what she is doing during feedings. if that is the case you may need a higher dose of the PPI.

read about how this all works at http://www.marci-kids.com/

that is an excellent resource and you may need to fax the info to your doc. i had to do that to get the correct treatment for my son.

Quote Originally Posted by justin's mama
    I have a quick question for you ladies!

My DD is 6 weeks old now and was diagnosed w/reflux and put on Prevacid. She coughs and gags and spits upwhen I give it to her. Well, it occurred to me after reading info on Dairy Allergies and how babies show the symptoms that that may actually be what she has. I forgot to give her her medicine one night and she has done really well w/o it, and she has only been spitting up when I eat anything w/dairy.

I guess I have 2 questions--
    1--what all do I need to cut out to get rid of Dairy in my diet?
    2--Should I go back to giving her the medicine?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Honestly, it is very hard to tell if your dd has a dairy allergy

Here are some options to find out for sure:
    1 - do not cut dairy, keep a food diary with symptoms, foods eaten, and time and watch for patterns
    2 - cut all dairy (see posts in allergy section of boards) for 2 weeks, look for her reflux to lessen, and coughing, sputtering, etc - and then add dairy in for a day or 2 and see if symptoms return

If you have questions for me specifically, please pm me or post in the allergy section. I often forget to read here

Angi - mom to 3 children with dairy allergies

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Symptoms of oversupply can mimic allergy and reflux symptoms. You might find this resource helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Gentle Reminder:

Only La Leche League Leaders (those posters with "LLL" in front of their username) speak for La Leche League.

This forum is for information and support purposes only. La Leche League International is not responsible for any information obtained in posts on this forum. Posts are the sole responsiblity of the poster. Suggestions received here should not replace the professional opinion of your health care provider. Also bear in mind that La Leche League Leaders are not medical professionals, nor do we intend that any information given in this forum take the place of appropriate medical consultation. Please contact a health care professional if you you have medication or health questions. We thank you for not posting medical advice.