Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few issues...Help!

Default A few issues...Help!

My 6 week old has been a pretty good baby until about a week ago. She has always made god-awful grunting noises but nothing that concerned me. At about two weeks old, she developed a rash that starter out on her face. I thought it was baby acne until it spread to her neck, chest, back and now in the past few days to her arms and legs. Her ped doesn't seem to be too worried about it.

To add to the rash, about 4-5 days ago she started spitting up much more than she had been. She also ha sbeen struggling at the breast often coughing or making a forceful gurgle sound. In a few instances, when this happens, milk comes out of her nose.

Tonight topped it all off. While she has had a few nights here and there of fussiness, tonight all she wanted was the breast. Nothing els would calm her down from about 8 until 12-1am.

I am worried...can I feed her too much? Is she allergic to something I am eating? Does she have a reflux problem?

I appreciate any help you ladies can give me!

Default Re: A few issues...Help!

and welcome!

It sounds like you have a few different issues going on. First, the constant feeding: this sounds like growth spurt, especially since 6 weeks is the prime time for one.

tonight all she wanted was the breast. Nothing els would calm her down from about 8 until 12-1am.
    The above quote also very accurately describes cluster feeding, which is very common in the evenings. When my kid was 6 weeks old, we had "unhappy hour" every night from 7 to 9 pm.

about 4-5 days ago she started spitting up much more than she had been. She also ha sbeen struggling at the breast often coughing or making a forceful gurgle sound. In a few instances, when this happens, milk comes out of her nose.
    This sounds a lot like overactive letdown. But keep in mind that some spitting up is normal- there is no such thing as a spit-up free baby!- and that your baby's spitting up habits can and do change over time.

Regarding the rash, what does it look like? (Pinpoint dots, flat red patches, scaly, tiny whiteheads, etc.) Newborn skin is very delicate and before jumping to the conclusion that your baby has an allergy, you might want to change detergents and put your baby's clothing through an extra rinse cycle.

I am worried...can I feed her too much?
    No, not to worry: you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby! When a breastfed baby eats, she is in charge of the amount she takes in, and she will stop when she is no longer hungry. When she eats, she starts out sucking hard and fast, stimulating a rapid flow of milk. When she's starting to get full, her sucking slows and your body responds, decreasing the milk flow to a trickle.

You can, however, overfeed a bottle-fed baby, because the liquid in the bottle- be it milk or formula- comes out at a fairly fast rate even when the baby is no longer actively sucking. And then there's the temptation for the person giving the bottle to get the baby to "just finish the last little bit."

Hang in there! You're doing a great job!

6 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt where they want to be at the breast around the clock.

Rashes are sort of tricky with babies, what kind of laundary soap are you using? What sort of soap for bathing baby, what kind of wipes?

What are babies poops like?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

check out this link it talks about oversupply and pulling off.

My LO had horrible skin issues that started when she was almost 3 weeks old. It started out as baby acne then got infected w/impetigo and it looked SO bad. Once I treated that the "regular" baby acne stayed for months but I was freaking out b/c it was everywhere on her body and seemed to be spreading. Including her ears, arms and legs. I was concerned it was something worse so I took her to several Drs (that kept blowing me off saying it was acne)and the last Dr I took her to was a dermatologist. He said it looked like baby acne but also she looked like she had eczema b/c she had dry skin. Well I never wanted to put anything on her skin b/c everything I read said don't put anything on the acne. Withing days of treating her eczema with Eucerin Aquaphor ointment her "acne" started going away. My belief is that eczema was what she was suffering from after the acne went away. It was spreading b/c it was eczema. I know its hard to tell b/c rashes are usually a mystery but I confirmed that thought of it being eczema caused all the "pimple" looking bumps covering her entire body when last month we were at Applebees and I let my DD3 (was 7 months then) have some of the Mac n Cheese my DD2 was eating and the next morning she had that acne looking rash like when she was a few months old. After a few days of treating it with the Aquaphor the acne look started going away and a few typical eczema patched were leftover. I say if you feel something isnt right go to a different Dr until you feel comfortable with what they are telling you.

Seriously I was told by 3 different Drs that this is just regular acne and wasn't infected. Until I finally found a Dr that said it was infected. This picture was taken when it was already 50% better-no joke
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

Thank you for the replies...looking at my post I can see how tired I was! TYPOS! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    and welcome!

This sounds a lot like overactive letdown.
    Thank you for mentioning this! I have read about this and completely forgot about it and began worrying about something entirely different. What a relief!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    :
    Regarding the rash, what does it look like?
    The rash is small, raised, red pinpoint dots.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kbeever814 View Post
    He said it looked like baby acne but also she looked like she had eczema b/c she had dry skin. Well I never wanted to put anything on her skin b/c everything I read said don't put anything on the acne. Withing days of treating her eczema with Eucerin Aquaphor ointment her "acne" started going away.
    I also suspected eczema because it is rough to the tough on her cheeks. I, too, didn't want to put anything on her litle face but Aquaphor is my go to product for everything for myself...I will try it for her. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    Rashes are sort of tricky with babies, what kind of laundary soap are you using? What sort of soap for bathing baby, what kind of wipes?

What are babies poops like?
    I am using Dreft for her clothes and I wash everything before I give it to her. I was using Johnson's products but have since swtiched to Aveeno Fragrance Free to try and clear her up. Which hasn't really worked too much. I hate to say this as it is sort of embarrasing...I think my bath tub may need to be cleaned! I gave her a bath in the sink twice and it got slightly better. Until yesterday I bathed her in the tub again and it flared up...hmm...?

Thank you all for the help...I am feeling better...especially as I am rested. Daddy took her for a car ride at about midnight and then I nursed her and she eventually fell asleep from 2-6:30. Yay mommy!

How often are you bathing her? I realized when my daughter was a month or so that bathing her daily was drying her skin out. I started doing it every other day or less and not using any soap at all (which at this age isn't too hard since they aren't really getting very dirty). I'd just rub her down with a soft wet washcloth, making sure to get really good in her little folds around her neck and knees, etc. Then I'd dry her off and rub her all over with Cetaphil. Her skin cleared up pretty quickly.

Another thing I noticed was that any time anyone wearing perfume would hold her, she'd break out. Even if their clothes were washed in perfumy detergent. I started making sure I gave everyone a blanket before they held her so she wasn't contacting their clothes.

Oh, and regarding your bathtub, maybe it's not that it isn't clean, maybe it is the cleaning product you are using that isn't getting rinsed off well enough?

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*steveandlacie View Post

To add to the rash, about 4-5 days ago she started spitting up much more than she had been. She also ha sbeen struggling at the breast often coughing or making a forceful gurgle sound. In a few instances, when this happens, milk comes out of her nose.
    This is exactly what happened with DS when he hit his 2 week growth spurt and we developed an oversupply problem. I recommend:
    -don't do breast compressions or blowing on her face to encourage nursing.
    -try block feeding
    -whenever she is starting a new breast, try a cradle hold. DS spits up everything he eats when we do football hold with a new breast. Only do football on a breast you think is nearly empty.

We started doing all these things and DS hasn't spit up in about a week. Before it was every day or two. Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    How often are you bathing her?
    I bathe her 2-3 times a week. I read that about drying the skin out so I haven't done it.

She has spit up a lot today. I can't even put her down for tummy time over the last few days.

However, her feedings have been great so far...I hand expressed some milk after she began gagging and then she was fine. Her rash seems to be clearing up again... I am definately going to clean the tub and then rinse it really well. I have those new greenworks cleaners so I am going try those.

Glad to hear things are getting better. Both my babies spat up alot, but never had milk coming out of their noses! DD spat up so much one day she went through 7 sleepers. Spitting up alot is more of a laundry problem and it goes away as they get older. You can try burping more frequently, that might help.

If you have OALD, you can take baby off when your milk lets-down, let the milk spray into a cloth, then when the flow slows, you can put baby back on.

Both my babies had sandpaper-like rashes on their cheeks when they were newborns. The doctor prescribed hydrocortisone which I didn't want to use. I ended up putting Vaseline on his cheeks before bedtime and it worked great. DS has sensitive skin, like his sister. We find it not necessary to use any bath products, just water. When DS poops, we don't use diaper-wipes as he had a reaction to them, we have these small cloths we wet with warm water. If you are using dryer sheets or fabric softener, you might think of not using these. Also check that she's not getting overheated, heat-rashes are pretty common with babies.

As for our tub, I get everything wet, then I just use baking soda and make a bit of a paste out of it, scrub it everywhere, let it soak, then scrub and rinse it off. It does a great job and is cheap. The soaking part is key.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I have figured out that she is probably going through a growth spurt because she is eating like a fiend and her habits are all changed. Her rash is better- I have not bathed her since my first post- and I think I will switch to just an Aveeno oatmeal bath. I have been hand expressing when she pulls off and it has made it much easier for her.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!