Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help, milk supply dropping. when should i resort to formula?

Default help, milk supply dropping. when should i resort to formula?

Hey ladies. First of all if you dont already know, I am pregnant... My milk supply seems to be going downhill at this point in time. I'm not positive how to tell, but DS is fussier than usual, seemingly always hungry, and i dont usually have a let down when i feed him. Also he pops off a lot while nursing and is very fussy at the breast. My milk is very watery, it doesnt seem to be fatty at all. I dont see any hind milk when i nurse him or pump.

So at what point to i resort to formula? I really wanted to avoid this, but i dont want my baby to starve. I have very little breast milk in the freezer. I pumped a min ago and he sucked 3 oz down in about 3 min. He seems to be hungry.

Also, i know this may not be a good indicator, but he did lose an oz since a few weeks ago. He's not putting on much weight at all ever since i got pregnant.

I havent counted his wet dipes lately, but they do seem to be okay. I feel though that even if he has enough wet and dirty dipes, my milk is not filling him up.

So what should i do? nurse then supplement?
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Default Re: help, milk supply dropping. when should i resort to formula?

I'm sorry this is happening Kelly! I don't have any answers...my first thought though is whether this is temporary? Does the supply rebound during pregnancy? Can you take anything to increase your supply when pg? Can he start some high-cal solids? (Jack Newman's suggestion)

Hopefully some experienced mamas will offer better ideas.

Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Have you been able to see the doc yet or is that next week?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

i see my ob on Jan 6th. I need to make him a 6 mo well baby visit as well. but we have to switch doctors so im dreading that.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Have you started any solids with him yet? If he's close to 6 months and showing signs he might be ready, you might try adding some solids to his diet which could help fill him up since your milk seems to be starting to decline already. The solids might help you avoid supplementing with formula, or at least supplement less??

Buff

ETA: I also wanted to say although he doesn't seem to be gaining weight, it might be possible that he's going through a growth spurt (getting taller) or teething?? If you do end up supplementing with formula, your best bet would probably be to nurse him first, then give him formula after he's nursed... and you might not even have to give him formula after every nursing session, maybe like every other nursing session?? You might even consider using an SNS if you want him to get all his milk at the breast and avoid a bottle?
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; December 31st, 2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: forgot something
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I dont have any advice, but lots of hugs
    I dont think anyone will judge you for supplementing. Just go with your gut, if you dont feel he is ready for solids, dont push it yet.

Have you looked into a milk bank?? Do you know anyone that would be willing to donate to you? Man, I wish I had something left to send you, I would in a heartbeat.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Just to let you know, 6 months is prime time for a growth spurt

However you know your baby best. If you think that he isn't getting enough milk and that he isn't ready for solids, offering formula AFTER breastfeeding is what is recommended. Perhaps starting with 1 ounce at a time if he seems hungry after a feeding.

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

thanks for all the help

i did introduce solids 2 days ago. He will be 6 mos on the 2nd. I started with a banana, i used breast milk and put it in the food processor. Although i didnt cook the banana first, and im wondering if i was supposed to . He seems ready, hes sitting up a lot better, he can sit up on his own in my lap, without leaning on me... just not unassisted on the floor yet. anyway, we did start with banana thats what we had here.

we didnt suplement formula today, its so confusing b/c i hear him swallowing a lot at the breast. so maybe just a growth spurt like some of you mentioned. I'm just taking it day by day, i guess thats all i can do. I really hope to avoid formula, i just wish my milk would fatten up, its so watery looking. He nurses so often these days. i just really dont want to offer formula if its not necessary, so im trying not to misread things. i'll wait a few days or weeks to see how things go.

Thanks for all the help, and encouraging words. i really appreciate it.

ETA: i havent looked into a milk bank, im not sure medicaid would cover the cost unless its medically necessary that he have only breastmilk.
    Last edited by @llli*kelmareuby; January 1st, 2009 at 12:33 AM.

Yes, DS had a huge growth spurt at 6 months so that could be part of it. I think its a matter of nursing as much as you can and watching his weight gain. If you feel you must give formula, you could try a cup and bypass the bottle all-together.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Your supply won't rebound and it's not safe to take any kind of galactagogue while pregnant. If I was in your shoes, I would nurse first then offer formula or donated breastmilk after every feeding.

However, because your LO is only 6 months I personally would try to use an SNS and not a bottle. But either way, you don't have an option because you have to feed the baby. Noone is going to judge you, you have to make your baby thrive. Six months is very young!!!

Also, pushing solids at 6 months is not the way for your baby to be getting the additional nutrition. I could see if your LO was closer to 12 months, but not just starting out. Solids should be a very slow and fun process, not jumped into right at that age. It would be so rough on the stomach plus super stressful to both of you and you might end up getting a lot of rejection with foods.

Hang in there. Are you going to tandem? I hope you consider that option, and really give a good look into an SNS so you can keep baby at breast until the new LO is born and your milk returns.

Sending you lots of love and positive thoughts momma!!!

ps... look into the Lact-Aid !!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09