Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help, milk supply dropping. when should i resort to formula?

Default Re: help, milk supply dropping. when should i resort to formula?

You could also eat oatmeal. Wouldn't hurt, right?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    You could also eat oatmeal. Wouldn't hurt, right?
    and drink LOTS of water
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmareuby View Post
    Hey ladies. First of all if you dont already know, I am pregnant... My milk supply seems to be going downhill at this point in time. I'm not positive how to tell, but DS is fussier than usual, seemingly always hungry, and i dont usually have a let down when i feed him. Also he pops off a lot while nursing and is very fussy at the breast. My milk is very watery, it doesnt seem to be fatty at all. I dont see any hind milk when i nurse him or pump.

So at what point to i resort to formula? I really wanted to avoid this, but i dont want my baby to starve. I have very little breast milk in the freezer. I pumped a min ago and he sucked 3 oz down in about 3 min. He seems to be hungry.

Also, i know this may not be a good indicator, but he did lose an oz since a few weeks ago. He's not putting on much weight at all ever since i got pregnant.

I havent counted his wet dipes lately, but they do seem to be okay. I feel though that even if he has enough wet and dirty dipes, my milk is not filling him up.

So what should i do? nurse then supplement?
    Hi, there.

Congratulations on your new pregnancy! Being pregnant with a breastfeeding baby can be a bit overwhelming. Hang in there... you'll get through this.

When a mother becomes pregnant while she is still nursing her baby that is under about a year, then she will need to speak with her ped about making sure that baby receives adequate nutrition... whether through solids, formula, etc. It depends on the age of the child and whether or not they're eating solids, etc.

I agree with the other posts... baby's nutrition and well-being is most important here... good communication with your ped is very important. Since you're just starting giving solids, formula may be necessary if you feel your baby just isn't getting enough. Yes, there may be a growth spurt involved, but, generally, a pregnant mother's milk supply isn't affected by supply & demand, and so her milk supply won't increase.

Making every bite "count" may be very important, as well. Foods like avocado are wonderful in similar situations... some mothers also offer the top part of yogurts before mixing (with most of the fats, etc.) to their baby, if you feel comfortable giving yogurt at your baby's age)... others try adding some "good" oils to any foods (like a teaspsoon of olive oil or flax oil, etc.).

If you do offer formula, offer *after* nursing. Listen to your mommy voice...

Nature works in such a way that your new baby will receive all it needs nutritionally from your body. This is one of the reasons we're reminded to take pre-natal vitamins when we're pregnant (& sometimes when we're nursing)... this is so if we don't receive enough of the vitamins/nutrients from foods our body needs, the baby in our belly doesn't deplete them from our own body. (Hence the reason some docs recommend extra calcium because there is research being done to link osteoporosis with poor intake of calcium during pregnancy.) This is especially true when a mom is pregnant and nursing... You may have already noticed you're a bit hungrier than usual?? If so, try to eat a well-balance and varied diet and rest as much as you can. Good vibes your way!

Tandem nursing isn't for everyone, but at the same time, can be everything to a mom and her babies. It's all so individualized.

I've read and recommend the books, "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" by Norma Jane Bumgarner and Hilary Flower's Book, "Adventures in Tandem Nursing."

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

great advice everyone! im so thankful!

im upset that i may not be able to nurse DS for a full year, and then beyond. I have thought about tandem nursing, and in my mind its definitely an option, we'll see how things go. Maybe i sound selfish, but idk if i could handle it. but then again at a year Noah wouldnt be nursing as much as the new baby. I'll have to get that book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing".

i am increasingly hungry, but at the same time kinda icky feeling, so its hard to eat sometimes. I havent thrown up so im thankful for that. i just am hungry with no appetite all at the same time.

thanks again ladies. we'll see how things go today.

ETA: Just found out my DS's pedi doesnt take medicaid, so we will have to find a new one, which stinks, since she has all his records.

ETA: maybe a bit obssesive but hes down 2 oz from yesterday
    Last edited by @llli*kelmareuby; January 1st, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

ETA: maybe a bit obssesive but hes down 2 oz from yesterday
    ??? If you're baby's lost 2 oz since yesterday... and you're weighing with the same circumstances: same time of day, after/before a feeding, with or without clothes... wet or dry diaper... same scale, etc., then you might want to contact your ped fairly soon, especially since you've also mentioned the possibilities of weight loss in your previous emails. Listen to your mommy instincts.

How many wet/poopy diapers is he having now?

When a mother uses formula as a*tool* with the goal of continued nursing, then this is different...

I have thought about tandem nursing, and in my mind its definitely an option, we'll see how things go. Maybe i sound selfish, but idk if i could handle it. but then again at a year Noah wouldnt be nursing as much as the new baby. I'll have to get that book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing".
    "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" and "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler..." both give lots of different scenarios that can happen while pregnant and nursing and also tandem nursing. Definitely worth the read...

Tandem nursing (during and after pregnancy) is a different experience for every mom and is so individual. I've heard & agree with the statement of not really knowing until you actually are experiencing it... most mothers do have an aversion to nursing while pregnant & continuing to nurse the older child after the new baby is born, but not all.

Sometimes a pregnant mom can have plenty of milk for their nursing toddler throughout pregnancy but then others find their milk supplies "dry up" pretty quickly because of the pregnancy hormones... it's very individual. :O) It's kinda Mother Nature always trying to take care of the younger baby. Since those same hormones can make mom's emotional being a little off-balance sometimes, having a flexible mindset can be helpful.

If a mother isn't lacking in milk, the taste can change... another reason some toddlers naturally wean during pregnancy. If, on the other hand, mom doesn't feel the need to help weaning along (she's not feeling pain, being uncomfortable, etc.) then continuing to nurse is fine. Being aware of her own nutrition (eating foods high in proteins, good oils, etc.) is definitely helpful and doable. Nausea during pregnancy may decrease her enjoyment to nurse her older toddler but then, she may not experience any discomfort at all.

Whichever way it goes, you should try not to feel guilty. The AAP recommends to nurse until a year and there after, for as long as mutually agreed upon."

I mention these bits of info because your baby will be a toddler soon!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

maybe a bit obssesive but hes down 2 oz from yesterday
    do you have any formula with you for supplementing purposes? If you are supplementing with formula and offering solids slowly, in a couple of months you may be able to decrease the formula and increase the solid intake (with your continued nursing). And if your milk supply ceases, your ds may still comfort nurse and/or pick up nursing again when baby is born (or take from a sippy cup at that time)

and if you are introducing solids, here's some info on avocados and sweet potatoes (two great starter foods)

Avocado makes a great first food for baby due to it's texture and creaminess as well as it's high nutrient content.

Avocados are often called one of nature's perfect foods because they are said to contain everything a person needs to survive.

A wonderful "good fat" food for baby's brain and physical development, try an avocado as baby's first food instead of refined cereals!

"Sodium- and cholesterol- free, avocados contain valuable nutrients including 8% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for folate; 4% DV for fiber and potassium, 4% DV for vitamin E; and 2% DV for iron. A serving of avocado also contains 81 micrograms of the carotenoid lutein and 19 micrograms of beta-carotene. Per serving, avocados have 3.5 grams of unsaturated fats, which are known to be important for normal growth and development of the central nervous system and brain."

The nutritional value of yams/sweet potatoes cannot be ignored! They are high in Vitamin A and beta carotene as well as potassium. They also contain a good amount of Vitamin E, calcium and folate! "The Nutrition Action Health Letter rated 58 vegetables by adding up the percentages of USRDA for six nutrients (Vitamins A and C, folate, iron, copper, and calcium), plus fiber. Sweet Potatoes topped the list with a whopping 582 points; its nearest competitor, a raw carrot came in at 434."˚

Both quotes taken from http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

thanks for the info about avacados and sweet potatoes!! i'll have to get some.

we have forumula here, samples came in the mail actually. I prepared 2 oz of formula and he didnt like it at all. He gagged a few times. Poor buddy. he kept trying it though so maybe he will get used to it.

his diaper output seems pretty good actually. i'll change him and a little bit later hes wet again. Hes had 2 BM today.

Could it be possible that my milk isnt fatty enough for him anymore? with the change of hormones?

What i did was nurse, then try the suplement, then we nursed again.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Could it be possible that my milk isnt fatty enough for him anymore? with the change of hormones?

nope....
    your milk's still great for your son!

are you eating well?

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...-vitamins.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/f...lyweaning.html

Just wanted to say what you did offering him bananas with breastmilk is a great first food... no need to cook them, just mashing them up and maybe mixing a little breastmilk with them is great! Also, as the pp's said, avocados and sweet potatoes are great first foods too.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I have no experience of BFig and pregnancy but I have lots when it comes to Bfing while also using formula (6.5 months and going strong). No one wants to do it, but some of us have to. Your mommy instinct is dead right, BF, formula, BF is a great way to do it - they get all the BM you have, they get the extra they need, but they also associate the warm comforting feeling of being full with your breast. They can also continue to comfort nurse. Depending on how long it takes them to drink the formula you have also given your breasts time to produce a little more milk.

We have always used bottles, but have been careful to use slow flow nipples, I also snuggle him in when giving him a bottle - basically cradle hold - so it is still strong bonding time.

I agree with the posters that have indicated he is too small to be substituting much nutrition with solids. A baby should get the majority of its food from milk until it is about a year old. High calorie solids are great - but don't wean your baby from milk before the gut is ready for it - you could cause some long term problems.

I that your baby prefers the taste of BM. LO probably always will - but it seems the different formulas taste different so if LO keeps hating it you might want to try a different one. DS doesn't like one brand and gets very colicky if he gets some of it. Work with a pedi or LC to make sure you are supplementing the right amount.

regarding changing doctors. When you find a new pedi sign an authorization to transfer LOs records and they will all move with you.

Good luck
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.