Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I left cooked beans in the pot all night

Default I left cooked beans in the pot all night

I have to throw them out right?

ugh. I soaked them the night before, slow cooked them yesterday, and gave some to ds for dinner last night. Forgot to put them in the fridge after dinner
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: I left cooked beans in the pot all night

I may be the odd man out, but if there is no meat or meat broth in them I'd probably keep them and just make sure they are heated through really well before serving them.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

no not really
    taste them n see if they have gone sour, then u do need to throw them away...otherwise just refrigerate...i have left food overnight if they havent cooled down enough before i hit the bed...

agreed- if they don't smell bad and there's no meat, i think you're fine, just reheat well. if they will dry out with reheating, add more liquid.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

I also vote to keep them. Just heat them up really well and they will be absolutely fine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

really? what about all the talk about the "danger zone"?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I may be the odd man out, but if there is no meat or meat broth in them I'd probably keep them and just make sure they are heated through really well before serving them.
    I've done this MORE than once
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I'd throw them out personally. If it had only been a few hours, then I probably wouldn't worry all that much, but overnight...I'd toss them.

Bacteria grows in stuff like cooked beans too...it's probably a pretty good environment...warm, moist...YK? Plus, depending on other ingredients, like tomato products, you could have issues. I "think" that things like cooked veggies and legumes and things including cooked tomato products can get botulism bacteria easily too.. Botulism is fairly heat resistent, so it isn't necessarily cooked out when reheated...they recommend boiling for 10 full minutes to kill it, but it doesn't grow well in cold environments, so if refrigerated, products are safer.

I would check with poison control or check an online food safey website. I'd honestly just throw it out though if in doubt.

I've done this type of thing before too. SO frustrating! If it was me eating the beans, I might keep them. To feed to DD? Honestly, probably not.

I'm a little paranoid though. Really it comes down to how things are cooled, not just temperature. If the beans were in a shallow layer in the pot, they cooled faster and may be okay, but I've taken courses in epidemiology, and food poisoning is so easy to get from lots os stuff. In fact rice, cooled improperly is a major player in food poisoning. There doesn't have to be meat involved to make you sick.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

The danger zone is between 40-140 degrees F (roughly), where bacteria multiply best.
    I'd toss 'em, there is enough food in there for bacteria to eat and live happily (no meat required) and you don't want to make anyone (especially your LO) sick. You can get sick from the bacteria itself or toxins that the bacteria make and you can't cook the toxins out. Sorry!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ