Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should i be worried?

Default should i be worried?

My baby is 4 months old and doesn't seem to want to breastfeed very often. I feed on demand and am finding it hard to read his cues. I fed him this morning at 6 and waited until 9:30 to offer again but he wouldn't latch until 10:30 when he had a short breastfeed from one side. Its now 12:30 and he's only snacked a few times when I've tried to see if he's interested. He'll suck through the let down and then sometimes bites the nipple as he comes off! He seems quite gassy. My mum says don't worry hes a happy baby but I find it hard not to be anxious.

This has happened in the past and it came back to normal when I changed his early morning routine and (funily enough) relaxed more about letting him go longer between feedings.

Am I worried for nothing? sorry about the long post...

Default Re: should i be worried?

My four month old is doing the same thing, I just don't watch the clock. She is producing the right number of wet and dirty diapers, so I just go with that.
    Daughter of God, Wife to my wonderful Hubby, Mama to DD(8-28-08) Angel Baby (8-2-09) and due with DS (7-5-10)!
    We , , and all day long!

Default Re: should i be worried?

Thanks its hard to know whats normal or not sometimes! How do you decide which breast to use? I've had oversupply in the past and definitely don't want to get that again, but I don't want to decrease my milk also! The books say feed on one side till they're finished and then swap to the other but he hardly ever 'finishes' the 1st breast and almost never wants the second one then and there... At the moment I think in 3-4 hour stretches and try to feed most on one side and a bit on the other during that time.

I wish I didn't stress so much...