Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formula a cure for Diarrhea?

Default Re: Formula a cure for Diarrhea?

Just thinking out loud here... Have you tried giving him any yogurt? He's old enough to try it, and I have heard that the good bacteria in yogurt can help restore the digestive tract... however, if it's something he's never had before (like the formula) not sure you'd want to introduce something new to the equation.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I agree with trying some yogurt...they do recommend the BRATY diet for moderate diarrhea.

Here is some good info from Dr Sears on diarrhea...more than you will probably ever want to know!

And I just want to add, the A stands for applesauce, not apples in general. Applesauce is better for diarrhea because it is high in water content and takes almost no stomach acid to digest it...therefore causing less diarrhea.

Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; December 30th, 2008 at 03:46 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Yeah I think I might try some yogurt but he hasn't had any in his diet so far so I'm wondering if that would be okay? He has had cheese before and it didn't seem to affect him. He mostly only likes to nurse 6-7x a day. He is my booby boy!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

I have been giving him 1/2 a pill of lactobacillus acidophilus twice a day for infants and children and it has not helped the way I hoped it would.
    I apologize in advance for my advice, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. I had a guinea pig who had compromised health, due to being exposed to a virus when he was young and he had very loose stools. I struggled with his poops for months. For a guinea pig to have diarreah is really worse than with a human. Anyway, I tried the lactobacillus acidophilus pills, giving him a bit of the powder twice a day, didn't make a different. My vet recommended to me that I give him 1/2 capsule of the powder 2x a day. So 1 full capsule/day. He was only 2 pounds. Well, wouldn't you know, it fixed things.

So what I am trying to say is perhaps the dosage of lactobacillus acidophilus is not enough for your baby. Perhaps yogurt will be a way to get him a higher dose. i'm not sure about the soy formula advice, I don't think its wise, soy is a common allergen and according to kellymom, shouldn't be introduce until 9-12 months. Formula is known to mess with the lhealthy natural intestinal flora of breastfed babies and that seems to me to be the opposite of what you want.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 31st, 2008 at 02:56 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

IMHO, I think that since your LO is just 8 months old I would try to cut out all foods and the acidophillus. Since the Dr. doesn't see anything bad in the lab tests I would just put him straight to the breast and let your milk repair his tummy and bowls. Watch the output to make sure your LO isn't getting dehydrated and stay in touch with the doctor if things don't get better or worsen but I think your milk would be best right now for your LO.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

Kind of gross, but is it loose stools or is it actual diarrhea? My son is over 2 and still has very soft poop and poops 2-5 times a day! Not to mention he eats 2 bananas and cheese every day. Some kids poop more than others. He was never one to skip a day as a baby like you hear of other babies.

Udo's makes a powdered probiotic for infants and children. Might be absorbed better than the pill, and it can be mixed in applesauce.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks for the responses ladies. I still haven't given my LO any formula for his diarrhea. Yes, it is true diarrhea because his normal output is 0-1 loose stool /day and while he has been sick his output has been 12-16 smelly green nasty stools/day. I do have good news: my husband said he only pooped 3 times yesterday which is a great victory for us. I fed him yogurt this morning and he liked it- so far no adverse reaction. I just wanted to thank you ladies for all the helpful advice. You are the best!!!!!
    Last edited by @llli*collinsmom; December 31st, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*collinsmom View Post
    Thanks for the responses ladies. I still haven't given my LO any formula for his diarrhea.
    Glad to hear things are getting better mama! I actually read through the whole Dr. Sears thing the other day and he actually says the worse diarrhea gets, to STOP giving formula. Glad you didn't have to give it! Good luck! Hope your LO gets better soon!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?