Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula a cure for Diarrhea?

Default Formula a cure for Diarrhea?

Okay my 8 month DS has been suffering from diarrhea for almost two weeks now. We sent his poop in for testing and everything has come up negative. I have been giving him 1/2 a pill of lactobacillus acidophilus twice a day for infants and children and it has not helped the way I hoped it would. Our ped recomended putting him on Isomil Soy Formula for 2-3 days to help stop the diarrhea. Does anyone else know of any remedies for diarrhea? Any help would be great!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Default Re: Formula a cure for Diarrhea?

what about certain foods that will harden his stool
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Yeah I forgot to mention that we have been feeding him toast, rice cerael, and bananas to slow things down but nothing is helping.

Also with & due 11/23/11

Before I'd do formula, I'd try the BRAT diet: Bananas, white Rice, Apples, and... Uh, does anyone remember what the T stands for? Anyway, all of those things are supposed to firm up stool, particularly the bananas.

Don't worry too much- there is a tummy bug going around these days and it's long-lasting (Perhaps it didn't show up in the test?), and my pediatrician told me that 90% of pediatrics is dealing with poop- either too much or too little- which is my way of saying "Poop problems are sort of normal for babies and toddlers."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

T is for Toast I believe. When they did the poop test did they test for allergies as well? Runny stool sometimes can mean an allergy to something you have been eating.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I second the allergy idea. Have you introduced anything new in his diet? Or in your diet?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I have no real suggestions... but I would worry that introducing formula to his already stressed-out digestive system might make things worse??? Yes, in general, I think formula does tend to make their poops more firm, but if your LO has never had any formula before, you don't know how it will affect his tummy. JMO

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    I have no real suggestions... but I would worry that introducing formula to his already stressed-out digestive system might make things worse??? Yes, in general, I think formula does tend to make their poops more firm, but if your LO has never had any formula before, you don't know how it will affect his tummy. JMO

Buff
    I think formula will only complicate things further. I would go with the BRAT diet and think if you have introduced anything new into yours or your lo's diet.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Do you notice that the diarrhea happens no matter what he eats or can you find a pattern? Maybe write down/review what he's been eating to check for allergies/irritants?

Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast are bland and low in fiber...it may or may not help but its worth a try. How much is he nursing?

Sorry you are having such a hard time, I hope things get better quickly!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Thanks for all the responses ladies, I can always count on you! I do not think that it is allergy related since I or DS hasn't eaten anything different lately. He really doesn't like solids except for toast and bananas and they have never caused a problem in the past. We are doing the BRAT diet but it hasn't helped. In my (mom) opinion I think that he had diarrhea from a virus and his bowels are taking a long time to heal but that's just the way I feel I really don't know. I'm just not sure if there is a quicker way to get his bowels to heal if that is the case...I could be WAY off.

Also with & due 11/23/11