Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much in the bottle?

Default How much in the bottle?

I am going back to work in a week and have been pumping in the meantime. I will be working 12+ hr shifts three days a week. There is no problem with her taking a bottle. My question is she is 4 months old and weighs about 12.5lbs; how much should she be taking from a bottle? She seems to grow a hollow leg when she drinks BM from a bottle and would probably drink endlessly if she was allowed to, but then obviously spits majority of it back up. I don't want to over feed her although I don't want her to be hungry. I don't know if there is a guideline to go by once you give them a bottle. It is hard to guesstimate when you are only BF. Thank you

Default Re: How much in the bottle?

Generally a good rule of thumb is 1 - 1.5 oz per hour you are away. And here is a good tool to help you out too! Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Great question, I needed to know the same thing!!! Thanks
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

I wasn't sure either, but I gave my DD what I pumped out, which was just shy of 3oz at that time. So I figured if I was pumping that much myself, she had to at least sucking at least that much out herself (since babies are better then pumps.) She is just 5 months and is taking 5.5oz out of a bottle.

Good luck at work!
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!